Saturday, January 22, 2011

Friday Night Sew-In


It was a good night to stay in and do craftwork, the temperature was *cold* and dropped to *shiver* by the time I went to sleep. This morning I awoke to *brrrrrr*.


My current project is a quilt made from vintage housedresses and aprons from the 40's and 50's. The pieces I have gathered are not in usable condition as clothing, but have sections that can be used as fabric. The concept of this quilt is to honor the women who maintained the household and baked the daily bread while their spouses toiled outside the home to be the breadwinners. From the clean, tidy houses they kept, to the starched shirts and the crocheted doilies, they created beauty. Therefore, let their legacy continue with something pretty made from their everyday apparel, the clothing that never left the house or backyard.







Before I even started on the material, I made a few changes to the design I had made for the quilt. I decided to make it slightly larger, to be used as a chill chaser on winter evenings instead of the wall hanging as was originally intended.

I washed, dried, and ironed the background material. But when I cut out the pieces, I found that I was one panel short. I've been told that before, but this time it was for real ;)

I hadn't cut a large enough piece of material from the bolt. Yes, my stash includes a bolt of bleached muslin, a indulgence I bought for myself some time ago. So I cut off another slice which will be washed today.

I folded the center panel in half both across the width and height and "pressed" the fold with my fingernail to find the centerpoint. I slipped my drafted pattern in place and lightly traced the design onto the muslin. The other sections were similarly marked, and now I have the placement marked for the floral pieces, which will be cut from the clothing.








So on my first Friday night Sew-In I never even picked up a needle. Tomorrow's goal is to have a whole stack of fabric cut outs which will be the flowers for the center medallion. Then comes the needle and thread....





(Corner panel with lightly drawn bouquet and bow)




Hundreds (yes, really!) of folks were crafting/stitching last night. Stop by Heidi's blog to link to their crafty Friday night escapades!


.....and have a great weekend!



9 comments:

Angie said...

You had a successful FNSI! Great job :)

MyStory of HiStory said...

Love the concept & the thought you've put into it about what you want it to represent when it's finished.Looking forward to seeing it when it's done!

MyStory of HiStory said...

P.S. ... what a great way to busy yourself and pass the time during this spell of "cold" , "shiver", & "brrr"!

Yiota said...

I can't wait to see how it turns out! I'm so into quilts these days!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Thanks for the kind remarks. I'm kinda excited about this one.

Impera_Magna said...

What an incredible project to undertake... and the quilt will be lovely, I'm sure. Looking forward to following along with your progress!

Dorothy said...

What a great idea to use the house coats.
So nice to keep the memories alive.

farmlady said...

This always seems like such a lot of work. I don't quilt but I sure do appreciate those who do.
This is a really good idea and I will look forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Vicki said...

What a wonderful idea for a quilt, will pop back to see how this comes on.