Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Exhale

Sometimes you just have to wade through the muck. I'm still wading but for now, let's move on to some good stuff.



Like doggie treats!






These were a good work out (rolling thick dough) but fun. After cooling they hardened up considerably. I hope my doggie friends will be able to chew them!


I lost the link but here's the recipe:


3/4 cup hot water
1/3 cup margarine
1/2 cup powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
3 cups whole wheat flour

In large bowl pour hot water over the margarine. Stir in powdered milk, salt, and egg. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Knead for a few minutes to form stiff dough. Pat or roll to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into bone shapes. Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes. Cool. They will dry out quite hard. Makes about 1.25 lbs of biscuits, much more than you see in the photo above.

(Note: I will look for the link again to give proper credit to the original author.)




And granola...




I made a larger batch so I could divide it between two recipients and added a sprinkling of pistachios. I love this because the only sweetness is from the bananas and dates.


I added a scarflet to my list of gifts. This is for my biking friend, after she admired the one I wear. She wears jewel-like colors well, so the purple and emerald in this yarn will suit her. It should be finished by Thursday. Love working with large needles :)


Now, on the home front....

Last weekend I gathered (or tried to gather) one common mallow (don't fret - it's not on a protected list). This is the plant my grandmother used to dry, then boil with fruits for a cold remedy. The plants have a VERY tough, woody, strong root, and with the ground being semi-frozen from our early freeze I could not pull it out. It broke off just below the surface of the soil. I am drying as much of it as possible and set the large section of root in a pot of water. The small leaves attached near the base have remained bright green and healthy.




I will post updates about how this goes.

It's Wednesday! Have a great one!

5 comments:

Maria said...

I am glad you are back....I hope the "muck" goes away soon!

I love that yarn color....but what is a scarfLET?

I hope your recipients love their home made gifts........

MyStory of HiStory said...

Welcome back! You've been busy even while wading thru' muck! ;) The scarf is lovely... Those doggie treats are cute. You're furry friend is sure to be a friend for life! :) Hope you're ok!

Mug said...

Thank you, thank you for the doggie treats recipe! Our "grand-dogs" will be visiting, so this is just the gift for them....and our own 4 dogs as well:-). Hmmmm...of course that means I'm adding to my already rather lengthy to-do list...#57-MAKE DOGGIE BISCUITS...:)
Love the scarflet!....and the granola...and I'm curious about the home-grown & brewed cold remedy. YOU have been a busy woman!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi folks,
I'll be around to all your blogs soon. I have a lot of catching up to do!

Hi Maria - a scarflet is a shorter scarf that buttons at the neck so you don't have those long flaps. I'll post a link tomorrow.

Hello MyStory - Thanks! Good to hear from you :)

Hi Mug - there are LOTS of dog treat recipes out there. Even Martha Stewart's website has some.

The link where I found the dog biscuit recipe is here: http://www.furmasters.com/Doggie_Treat_Recipes.html

They have a few other ones there, too.

Enjoy!

farmlady said...

Ou,ou,ou.... granola and knitting.... and homemade dog biscuits.
Love this post.
Must try the dog biscuits. I'll make little ones for my little pups. Thanks.