Thursday, December 2, 2010

Breakfast

...probably my most favorite meal, even if it's just oatmeal with honey and cinnamon.



But


I've got a few tricks up my sleeve (or, on my plate.)




I didn't take a picture, but this recipe is soooo good! I shortcut it a bit, because I have organic pancake mix on hand. I added a large scoop of pureed squash, a bunch of spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ground cloves), and enough milk to thin to desired consistency (I skipped the egg.) I enjoyed the most heavenly pancakes topped with real maple syrup (is there any other kind?) Thank you, Karly, for this idea!


I routinely make my own granola from a favorite recipe that is sweetened by dates and bananas, which are pureed with vanilla and a little water. But after my current batch is finished I'll be making this one. milk n cookiezzz is written by a fifteen year old girl who knows her spatulas from her whisks :) You'll enjoy looking through the recipes she has posted. (Great photos, too!)


I do have one photo to share. This recipe is from the 80's, copied from a magazine, and adapted. It's a very dense banana bread with a twist - caraway seeds. (The original recipe called for anise seeds.) It's a drier bread that carries butter very well ;)






(The second loaf was very quickly put in the freezer.)



Happy Thursday!


8 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

You are makin me hungry!! I can only imagine how yummy that bread must smell when it's baking...if only this post were scratch & sniff! :)

farmlady said...

That bread is soooo beautiful. I must try to bake some bread some time. I never do yeast bread.... scared I guess.
I think I smell that bread from here in California but I have a vivid imagination.

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

Interesting!

So, I'd love to hear your thoughts on CHRISTMAS TREES. I was thinking of buying a potted tree to decorate and then plant once Christmas is over. But I've heard they're expensive....

It just bugs me to think of millions of trees cut down to be decorated for a month and then tossed. Thoughts? Suggestions?

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Thanks, everyone.

Hi Courtney,
Ah, THE question!
I've heard argument in both directions, and it's a matter of personal choice. I'm not putting up a tree this year, but most Christmas trees are raised on tree farms specifically for being cut, used, and mulched. Also, the farms replant seedlings for each tree that is cut. So, basically, it's not deforestation. As for the gas used to transport the trees, it can be compared to the energy used to make artificial trees. There are lots of other points to consider; does your city have a "merry mulching" program so the tree will be re-used? Is there a cut-your-own tree farm nearby? And a real tree will not sit forever in a landfill once it is no longer needed. You can probably search for more pros and cons online.

I'm in favor of real trees, but again, I'm "reducing" by not having a tree at all. I enjoy the sights and sounds of the season and spending time with friends and family, and don't need to have a tree.

Please enjoy your celebrations and don't have any negative feelings about whatever option you choose ;)

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Ooops! I forgot to add this -

Your option of a live tree is a GREAT idea!

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

That's a VERY helpful answer! Good point about tree farms. Thanks!

patti said...

I love breakfast, too. You have inspired me to have oatmeal with apple and raisins.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Patti,
That's a great combination, and soooo good on a cold morning! Enjoy!