Monday, November 15, 2010

Flour, oil, and water

By now you know that I love to experiment in the kitchen. I get a kick out of tossing in a handful of seeds into bread that I 'm kneading. By making my own granola, I can avoid sweeteners. And trying a simple, new recipe can make me smile. So Sunday night I took some flour, oil, and water and followed the instructions in The Garden of Earthly Delights Cookbook by Shea MacKenzie to make tortillas. I'm sure a lot of you are really good at making them but it's something that I had never thought to try, what with relatively inexpensive ones in the refrigerated case at the grocery stores.




I loved how the bubbles formed as these were cooking on the cast iron skillet. And the flour gave off that wonderful "nutty" aroma.

I made half the recipe which gave me 12 tortillas, each 8- to 10-inches across. 11 of them are already in the freezer. The last one is going to wrap a scrambled egg for my breakfast.

Play with your food! Have some fun :)

7 comments:

Maria said...

Good for you, I will have to try that recipe.....They look wonderful.

A side note - I noticed the dish immediately - my grandmother had that set. It brought me back!

Mary said...

ahhh, flour tortillas are my favorite comfort food.

Yiota said...

I like experimenting with food, too.
These tortillas look great!

MyStory of HiStory said...

That looks fun - & so easy! Every now & then we have burritos for dinner - it would be fun to actually make the tortillas for them.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

i have to try this..i just got a request for enchaladas after thanksgiving...i am trying this...

happy to visit today, my friend
kary and teddy
xxx

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Maria,
I love that dish - had it for many years. I'm glad it brought back memories for you :)

Hi folks,
It really was super easy. Most of the time was spent rolling out the "circles". And you can see mine aren't really round, but that's okay 'cause they still taste good :)

farmlady said...

I have never thought to make these either. I always buy them at the store. I can't believe I do that when these are so easy and who doesn't have flour,oil and water around? I need to try these.
Yes, scrambled eggs and sometimes some cheese. Oh... delicious.