Saturday, November 6, 2010

Everybody's doing it

Yes, I'm a little late to the party, but I'm doing it, too! Inspired by so many bloggers (especially Rob), I started a batch of vanilla.






I picked up Madagascar beans from Penzys today and used vodka that was already on hand. This batch won't be ready until sometime in February, which is fine because it won't be delivered to the giftees until later in January*. I'll hand deliver it along with details for letting it mature and how to use the beans for vanilla sugar. Their participation in the process will be part of the "gift" ;)

I hope your holiday gifting plans are well underway. As with everything else, planning is the key to avoid wastefulness!



* I'll be travelling up north for a very late holiday celebration due to work commitments and health. I'm sure I'll enjoy the drive much more by waiting a few extra weeks. But I'll be sending some homemade goodies up there in December ;)

3 comments:

farmlady said...

Everybody's doing it BUT ME. What did I miss here. Vanilla beans?... Vodka? I guess I better go back and catch up on my Blog posts. This sounds like I missed the party completely.

Wendy said...

Very cool! I've been making my own vanilla extract for use in my kitchen for a couple of years, but I never used the beans for making vanilla sugar. I'll have to check that one out ;).

The Curious Cat said...

vodka? Interesting...you'll have to let us know how it fares...!