Tuesday, November 2, 2010

envy

I had never used anything like this yarn, which I found over a year ago at a second hand store. My projects were always utilitarian, made from old fashioned worsted, because my skills don't justify the expense of fancier yarns. But the cost of this soft blue wool was reasonable enough to take a chance, and the six small skeins would probably be enough to make a nice scarf. But the yarn sat in a storage tote while I knitted and crocheted with worsted again last year.




Last week I decided to stop making excuses and just use it. I had bookmarked a pretty scarf made by the Selfish Seamstress, which she appropriately called the "envy scarf". The directions seemed straightforward, so I cast on and started knitting....and knitting....and...






It takes me a little more concentration to use this type of yarn and the lacy effect is not as pronounced as it would be with a plain yarn, but I really like the "nubby" texture. I've got about 12 inches done and with another 30 or so to go, I'll have a gift ready for the holidays. Shhhh, don't tell!


P.S. My November and December goals for Hip Mountain Mama's One Small Change Challenge are to make this a handmade holiday season, while keeping my use of resources down to a minimum. I'll be upcycling as much as possible!



7 comments:

lisa said...

Oh that is such a gorgeous color..I do the same thing with higher price yarns or wool..but your work is fabulous...I am also making home made crafts this year. Right now I am knitting a scarf that is black tweed for my hubby. He does not realize it is for him.. I work on my scarves at night while watching TV with him..I am also making a afghan that is cream tweed for someone...not sure who it will go to.. Have a great day, Lisa

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

I love the color! That hue is sure to bring out the best in any complexion.

Maria said...

The yarn looks really soft and the color is beautiful. I'm also doing some handmade gifts this year as well!

Yiota said...

The colour of this yarn is really gorgeous! It's turning into a fabulous scarf. Whoever gets this will be very lucky ... and warm!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Thanks, folks! I'll be looking forward to seeing your projects for this winter :)

The Curious Cat said...

Ah I am still acquiring the skill of knitting. I began before the US and now I haven't had any time but maybe come Xmas...it isn't as easy as I thought! I bet your scarf will look ace though! xxx

farmlady said...

I missed this post. Must have been gone somewhere. This yarn is beautiful and I love the pattern.
I can't believe you found such lovely yarn at a thrift shop. I look all the time and never find any as pretty as this.
Now I know who to come to when I get stuck.