Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Nothing but time on my hands




By 11:00 Monday morning I had had enough of the lazy life and almost called my co-workers to see if they needed any of my invaluable expertise (hah!). I'm sure things are fine back at my desk, and if they're not...oh, well. It'll do until I get back to straighten up the loose ends. I, on the other hand, needed relief from boredom.

So I took a walk to the library for a quilting book and two videos, stopped at the drug store for some non-stick gauze pads, and looped my walk around the neighborhood. The 45 minute trek made me tired. I expected to be able to do more but the reality is I'm still physically wiped out.

On my expedition I discovered that there's more to my neighborhood than I had imagined. Yes, I enjoyed the earthy smell of the warm sun on the fallen leaves and the warmth of that sun on my shoulders. And I saw the remains of the strongest colored trees in their waning glory. But I also got a peak into spots that I normally miss when I drive past.

Who would have guessed that someone was growing cucuzzi in their backyard?






In all the years I've planted Dusty Miller, I've never known it to have these little yellow blooms.







These roses were as inviting as the first blooms of summer.







There's a hidden stream so close to me.





And someone couldn't resist the wet cement!








We're supposed to get rain tomorrow. On the next clear day I'll walk a little further to see what I find...


How well do you know your neighborhood? Look around and enjoy!










Have a wonderful day!


6 comments:

Mary said...

Such a pretty photo essay-thank you. We are on the same wavelength...please visit me and see my morning photos also! I am glad you are taking it easy. Anesthesia takes its toll, as does surgery. Rest, and keep stress to a minimum. God, I sound like my Aunt Margaret.

farmlady said...

Walking around my town, as opposed to driving, always surprises me. It gives me time to see the small things... the imprints in the concrete... the little creek nearby,... the Dusty Miller blooming.
Thanks for reminding me that walking is good for the body and the spirit.

Mug said...

Hi FarmGal! I've been away from the blogging world for awhile.....I'm so sorry I didn't know about your surgery. You seem to be doing well, however, and taking things in stride.

I have so enjoyed perusing your posts that I've missed and especially enjoyed the one on the WWII ration books. You are so right....we have indeed become such a wasteful society....I have, of late, become especially conscious of how much I waste.

Your writings are so easy and enjoyable to read...and so well-enhanced with your wonderful photos! Keep up the good work!
And take care of that arm:)

Spring Lake Farm said...

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!!!!! Take care of yourself.

Sandy

Wendy said...

My girls and I love it when we're able to walk or ride our bikes to the library instead of driving. It's a couple of miles there and back, but it's nice to get out of the car and slow things down and just look around.

Glad to hear that you're mending well ;).

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

Very neat post! I walk the dog for about 45 minutes most days-- and I love taking new routes through the neighborhood, finding new streets, etc. I'm glad to hear you're able to do such things-- and sorry to hear it's so exhausting. I hope you're back to normal soon :)