Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Housewives' Quilt (it has begun!)

Inspiration is a funny thing. Sometimes you just don't feel it. Sometimes you expect it to be more. And sometimes it just tells you that you've been trying too hard.

I wanted to make a gloriously beautiful quilt from the vintage housedresses and aprons that I've gathered as an homage to the women who wore them, but the details wouldn't form in my mind's eye. Then I realized that these women may have been more comfortable with utilitarian designs, so I toned down my expectations and found some inspiration at the library.





I've started drafting a quilt top with a floral wreath and a floating ribbon. By cutting back on the frills, I think this may work.

After working out the quilting design, I'll start cutting the fabric.


4 comments:

farmlady said...

Sometimes it's better to simplify than not get it completed at all.
I'm sure it will be just lovely.
Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

Can't wait to see this one! Your idea-- as a "homage to the women that wore them"-- strikingly profound! Maybe even haunting, in the positive spiritual sense :)

And I love your words on ispiration. So true. Mine seems to come in waves-- too much tos sift through at once and then virtually none at all. Ah me, as julia child would say!

MyStory of HiStory said...

Anxious to see here the finished product of your simplified inspiration! The hints you've provided have me assured it's going to be simply beautiful!

Mug said...

I LOVE your words on inspiration, FarmGal! And you are inspiring me to not only finish my mother-in-law's quilts....but to also think about trying my own hand at designing a quilt...it is really an art, isn't it?