Sunday, October 10, 2010

hot doggin' it

So much to do, so little time....

No sooner does Autumn arrive, that Winter pokes her (his?) nose around the corner. I slept with the windows closed last night. For many folks that would not be unusual, but given the temperatures here in southern New England and the fact that I like to sleep in cooler temperatures, it was not normal for me to close the panes in early October. Perhaps it is a symptom of my getting on in years (smirk)....

Every once in a while, over the last two weeks, my ears have picked up on the sound of geese high overhead on their yearly migration south. Not often, and smaller flocks, not the large ones that wait until it's later in the season. When there are no tender blades of grass left they take flight in dozens, always in that lopsided V formation where one side is longer than the other.

So today I made my annual visit to the big box hardware store for a five-pack of furnace air filters, realizing that I may want to use the heat once I settle in the recliner with my arm in a sling. But it seemed that the other northern hibernators were ahead of me and there was an empty space on the shelf where the required size air filters once sat, forcing me to visit ol' StuffMart, not something I wanted to do on a beautiful Sunday.

I did find the filters. And here is where my confession comes. I bought stuff. Not just ANY stuff, but DISPOSABLE stuff, with EXCUSES. Paper plates and dinner napkins just to make it easy on myself. I walked past a pillow display and picked up two, since my dear youngest son wants to drive down to take care of me and I only have the two that I use. I decided to pay the cashier and leave before I could make more excuses to spend.

The sun was glorious, so I made a bee-line for the shore. There were a few softball games just ended on the ball fields, and lingerers rehashed the plays. A few folks were out walking, some cyclists rode by, and fishing lines were being cast from the pier. I walked a bit, but was underdressed for the wind off the water. However, these guys were enjoying every bit of the wind.










That odd blot at the level of the horizon is one of the windsurfers. He was quite the hot dogger! Seriously, he would go up twice this high. I just couldn't catch it with the timing on my snaps!#!
















It seemed as if the sun was glistening off every surface, like a reminder that we'll do this again next year.

I'll be looking forward to it.


I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. Have a great week!


3 comments:

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

I loved this line: "It seemed as if the sun was glistening off every surface, like a reminder that we'll do this again next year."

It does seem like that is the message!

MyStory of HiStory said...

What a nice place to be yesterday!... the shore that is (not StuffMart - but ya gotta do what ya gotta do). I enjoy watching those hotdoggers too when we visit the coast. They just look they're having SO MUCH FUN!

The Curious Cat said...

What is wrong with your arm? Will need to read on! I think it is pretty warm still but maybe I don't feel the cold too much...it is certainly warmer here than in the UK I reckon. Lovely beach shots - we just got back from Ogunquit this weekend so we had some seaside action too! xxx