Sunday, October 24, 2010

Graffiti



Good ol' fashioned rubbing alcohol and cotton balls are slowly removing the purple road map on my shoulder and back. The sticky yellow-orange stuff is more stubbornly hanging in there. This is my pre-op mark, where the doctor signed my left arm to signify which shoulder was to be worked on. That purple pen drew site marks and directions once I was unconscious.

Here's the rundown:

The good doctor planed off some bone from the joint in my shoulder that was "impinging" (pinching) the tendons. They woke me before I left the operating room and had me fed and dressed within an hour. I was up, walking to the bathroom on my own soon after that.

I stopped taking the prescription pain medication by the next morning because I didn't like the woozy feeling and I wasn't in any great pain. (Ibuprofen is the alternative, which is fine with me.)

After 48 hours, I decreased my time with the arm sling and started arm "circles". Actually, I let my arm hang and TRY to make a circle. My therapy evaluation is Thursday, and I want a head start on this. Right now I can't move my hand more than 18 inches form my hip (think small circle), so this week will entail a great amount of work. My upper arm feels like it is "banded" to my chest, caused by the reaction of the tendons from the surgery.

I'll be home for the next nine days. I'm sure I couldn't drive right now. I have books and may start some projects, as my arm will allow. And lots of catching up on blog-reading. I've been out for walks with my son, and I'll make that a daily habit while I'm housebound, especially great since it will be in the 70's over the next few days!

Early this morning, my youngest son loaded his vehicle and drove home. I'm sad, yes, but I'm so very grateful that he came to keep watch over me. We had wonderful conversations, good meals, and tossed around creative ideas. He's a very good person, and I'm so proud of him (as I am of all my boys.) He and his equally sweet girlfriend make a wonderful couple.

Wishing you all well!

9 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks for the update, and the cute picture. I'm glad you are feeling strong and looking forward to improvement. Don't overdo, and remember to take naps.

abby jenkins said...

Hope you are feeling better! When I had my knee surgery I took it upon myself to write NO on the 'good' knee with a Sharpie. My concern as I was going under was that the Dr might read it as ON and think...game on! and op on the wrong knee. He didn't thankfully.

I did not like the pain killers the prescribed either, one Motrin with a Tylenol was a great combo.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

sending get well wishes

kary

MyStory of HiStory said...

Good to hear from you. Thanks for the update. Been thinkin' 'bout ya. Glad you have some time off work to just take care of you! :)

The Curious Cat said...

Hope you get better really soon! Sounds painful...and I am lousy with removing pen/ink marks...always forget to scrub in the shower so they remain for ages! :$ xxx

Brad K. said...

I might be wrong - but 4 inch arm circles would likely be great to keep things that are supposed to move from sticking together. Too much too soon - might not be helpful.

As for the drawing - remind others that ask if they can write, too - one goof ball is enough. Write on the *cast*, not the arm. Sheesh. lol!

Take care! And blessed be.

Maria said...

I'm so glad that things went well!!!

Enjoy your time off from work and REALLY enjoy the wonderful weather we are going to have this week!!!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Many thanks to all! My goal was to get back to cross-country skiing this winter. Right now I don't know if that will happen, but then again, maybe it will be a long winter ;)

Have a great Monday!

farmlady said...

Good girl! You got through this operation without much whining and with your dignity in tack. I'm so glad it went well.
Try to enjoy your time off and heal....