Wednesday, October 6, 2010

good news, kind of....

The results of the MRI were no surprise, and my options were clear. A very competent doctor will be soon be poking around inside my shoulder to repair some damage. It's been hurting since January and I couldn't put up with it any longer. Even the arm motion during jogging is difficult. Surprisingly, guiding material through the presser foot can sometimes hurt. This has been very distracting for me, causing the lack of substantial posting, for which I apologize.

My current focus is on getting a few secondhand oversize button-front shirts, making sure I have a variety of reading materials, and preparing single serve meals that can be microwaved. The last package of frozen pumpkin from 2009 is slated to become a nice pumpkin bread for my recovery treat and I've just prepared a batch of granola, which is my go-to snack. There are a few frozen containers of satisfying and healthy curried red lentil soup, along with some packs of quinoa or wild rice which can be mixed with frozen veggies for an easy lunch. The goal is to be able to survive without using pots, pans or extra dishes. It's a mini lesson in survival, except that I will be able to use electricity and I can use money to purchase what I need to survive. (Wendy - I now have a better understanding of the dilemma of doing without those options, and a broader sense of what it means to be self-sufficient. My constant thought was "What if money had no value, the stores had folded, electric power was non-existent?" How would I do this, then?)

I'm trying not to think of the immediate pain from the operation, but of the freedom of movement gained once the healing is done. Countdown to renewal, 2 weeks, 1 day.

14 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

Hmmm ... hafta wonder if some producer somewhere gets a hold of this - you just may find yourself as the main character in an "all new" reality/survival show ... and it might actually be worth watching! :)

On a more serious note, so sorry you have to have surgery. Didn't realize the pain you've been dealing with. Best wishes for a speedy & full recovery. I do hope you have someone to help you out a bit.

Wendy said...

Ah! And the wheels start turning, don't they? *grin*

While it's a fun thought exercise, the reality is a little more stark, and if you didn't have a microwave for heating up your food, you'd have to resort to fire. A small bunson-style burner would probably work very nicely for your needs. Think "hobo-stove" ;).

You could also think about a homemade methane digester, but that's a little more complicated ... and it might have an odor that would be unpleasant for your neighbors. Oh, not to mention that it's a combustible gas, which might also not be a good thing to have where neighbors are pretty close :).

Still, it's amazing what can be done with very little, and for me, doing these sorts of thought-exercises, where I try to imagine what I would do if ... are very useful.

In fact, because I was talking outloud about what I would do for lighting and how olive oil could be used as a lamp oil, my husband developed an oil lamp using a canning jar with lid and a cotton wick (using the thread from a feed sack) with olive oil as the fuel ... and it works! Really well, in fact ... and it makes a great place for roasting marshmallows. Imagine if you were to bend a coat hanger so that you could suspend a metal pan over the open flame for cooking?

I'm very sorry to hear about your injury, and I hope all goes well with the surgery. I hope you'll be able to keep us updated, but I totally understand if you decide typing isn't a top priority during your recovery :).

Brad K. said...

@ Wendy,

Some years ago vegetable oil lamps for the holidays were all around me. There was a tiny wick, a plastic "dish" thing about the size of a tea candle holder with a hole for the wick in the center. You put an inch or so of water in a dish, add a layer of any vegetable oil, float the wick-dish on top, and light. It was more of a novelty than anything, but did also provide a bit of light.

Perhaps dollar or hobby stores still have them.

The part I haven't gotten around - is how to produce my own vegetable oil, if the store sources get unreliable.


@ 4 Bushel Farmgal,

Best wishes on the surgery, the healing, and the rehab.

Blessed be!

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

Wow, what a challenge! And how amazing is modern medicine? That they can "fix it" only putting you out of comfort and commission for a few weeks.

Amazing. I'm glad you're getting fixed :)
(But will be thinking of you in your span of pain and inconvenience).

Together We Save said...

Good luck!!

Mary said...

Take good care of yourself leading up to and after the surgery. try not to get anxious! :-)

Maria said...

I'm praying for successful surgery and a very quick recovery for you. Good for you, getting all your ducks in a row beforehand!

Keep us updated if you can....

farmlady said...

And it will make a big difference. Just have patience and give yourself time to heal. We are so fortunate to live in a time where they can fix these things. Our ancestors didn't have these options. They just had to deal with the pain forever.
I know it will all go well.... and you're so organized about recovery. Good girl!

Wendy said...

@ Brad K. You can press your own oil out of nuts and seedsusing one of these.

Perhaps it's not as palatable an idea, but you could also use animal fat in much the same way you use vegetable oils ;).

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Many thanks, everyone.
Between a kind neighbor, friends from work, and family, I think it will go well :)

phem said...

Best wishes for the surgery, I hope everything gets well. :)

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Thanks, phem!

The Curious Cat said...

Still not quite sure what has happened but hope you'll be okay!!! What a pain! xxx

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi C.C.,
Just a little bone development that has caused a small rip inside. It just needs to be fixed before it gets worse.