Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Regarding yesterday's post

Following up on my short post about technology yesterday, I sometimes wonder whether we've made our lives better with all the tech advances. We may be able to check our emails on our cell phones, but wouldn't it be nice just to talk to the person standing next to you in line at the deli counter? How often do you pass someone in the grocery store chatting away on their phone while they are pushing their cart? I even passed a gentleman on the bike path last week, as he was deeply engrossed in a phone conversation during his walk stroll. Can anyone "be in the moment" anymore? Do we HAVE to be connected 24/7?

I've often thought about leaving my cell phone at home, and if it weren't for my elderly mother, I think I would. (I will admit that I have chosen not to answer calls from friends and they are okay with that, knowing that I always call back later.) I do know a very successful businessman who does not even own a cell phone. He's a very content person. There might be some clues into happiness there....

It's also interesting that we must now store our photo albums (and video clips!) on our phones to share with others. (Remember, don't overdo it. One or two photos are plenty. Don't keep saying "Wait, this one's better" ;)

Last week I sat with a gal who was trying to program a new app into her phone that would translate voice into text so she could "legally" text while driving. We were having lunch. First, what's the rush? Second, in the words of Full House child star Jodie Sweetin: "HOW RUDE!"

It's been 4 and a half months since I unplugged the tv. On occasion I have watched a random cooking show or the news at someones house, but overall I don't miss it one bit. I listen to the news on the radio and read it online. I read books, old style, with paper pages. I get out into nature. I visit with friends. And last Sunday I sat outside working on a craft project while the squirrels scampered in the trees behind my condo. No, I definitely won't be bringing back a tv anytime soon.

I'm thinking about a computer break later this fall, perhaps October. Well, maybe for just a week or two. I'll have to think about it.


5 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

I'm not so sure technology is a good thing either. As with most everything it has it's good & bad applications & effects. I don't necessarily think it has made our lives better - only different. And all the modern conveniences technology affords only seem to have made us busier than ever. I tend to agree w/ Mug too re: the progressive Attention Deficit.

Have you seen the movie WALL-E?? A kids movie but I think many kids found it to be boring....not entertaining enough I guess - but my husband & I really liked it. It's a great illustration of the concerns addressed here & more. I think you'd like it.

lisa said...

I agree with you 100%..Simple is the way to go...
We have choices that we can make in how we use the techy stuff..

We got rid of our land line phones... I do think the land line phones will make a comeback because cell phones are getting so high priced..When you renew your contract they are now making it that you have to buy a data package..I have a simple phone. So next year I will be forced to buy a more tech phone..not my cup of tea..I rarely talk on my cell phone..It will be worthless to me to have the data package but they are making you have it now...so it will add from $6.95 to $30 each phone...depending on the data package..I know this because my son works at one of the cell phone companies..So if we go with the $30 one that is $90 extra on the bill because we have 3 phones.. that's above the normal bill we have now..Outragioous...I don't want the $30 nor do I want the $6.95 one... I do believe the land line phones will be coming back...

Have a great day...

Kathryn Ray said...

I agree. Technology has a time and a place.

I grew up (not that long ago) without a phone or TV. It think it allowed me to become much more independant and self confident.

Today my husband and I both have smart phones and computers because they make our lives easier. However, we do not have a land line at home or satellite TV because these things are not necessary for us. Though, my husband sometimes protests during big sporting events. ;-)

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi MyStory,
I haven't seen it but it would be a good movie to rent while I'm with my grandchildren. Thanks for the tip.

Hi Lisa,
Yes, we are forced to take more out of our income for things we don't even want. A simple basic plan is all I want, too!

Hi Kathryn,
I like that you made your choices and stick with it. We all have to choose what's right for ourselves.
I also admire that you gained the independence that so many of the next generations are missing!

Wendy said...

I know I spend too much time on the computer, but on the other hand, I don't have a cellphone, and I don't watch television.

One note about the "land line", which I still have. I get my Internet through the phone company. It's DSL, and really, it's just as fast as road runner. And the best part is that as long as I can power my modem, I have the Internet, and during a power outage, I always have a phone, because the land line is not dependent on electricity to operate.

I also have a fax machine with a distinct ring through my land line, and I need the fax for my business (which I operate out of my home). As far as I know, there is no cellphone plan that can duplicate everything my land line phone gives me (at less than $100 per month, including unlimited texting ... a.k.a. email :), which is why I'd never give up my land line for a cellphone, especially considering the only thing a cellphone does is give me mobility, and frankly, I don't want to be chained to the phone all day ;).