Monday, August 2, 2010

Exploring

I was born and raised in Connecticut, and lived here for 30 years before we went north. In all that time I did very little sightseeing of my home state, only venturing from the southwestern corner each fall to attend the Great Danbury State Fair (alas, it exists no more!) and one trip to Mystic Seaport. Every other trip took me far out of this state, as if nothing interesting existed here - or so I thought. It turns out that I was missing a lot! This summer I'm trying to make up for lost time, peeking into those not-so-distant corners.





Yesterday I drove to the Guilford-Madison area for a 17 mile loop on my bike. It is another seaside area, settled when our country was young. Access to the shore was necessary for food and trade back then. I passed several houses that were built well over a hundred years ago, most of which had been restored to their original dignity.

I rode at a moderate pace, stopping to explore to town (mental note to return - Sunday morning coffee shops and a small independent book store!) The sign on the diner near the beginning of the loop stated that it is also serves vegetarian meals. So does the little take out shop with Mexican fare. There are several sculptures scattered around town, different styles from different artists, some on public spaces and some on private property.










Halfway through the ride landed me at Hammonasset State Park, with 2 miles of sandy beaches and a huge, clean camping area. Sorry for the lack of wide view pictures on this, but I feel strange about snapping photos amid folks clad in only bathing suits! I'll be going back to spend a day at the beach before the summer is over.







On the way back to the start, I passed (and stopped at) a used book sale. Maybe it was a good thing that I was biking, there were quite a few that I would have purchased. ;)






Timing worked against me in one way, because I was there during midday and missed the concert in the park last night :( All said, it was a neat place. There were some serious bikers out (spandex) and some motorcycles, too. The automobile drivers were all very courteous. I'll be going back, but there are a few other places to explore first!

And, by the way, during the entire 17 mile trip I only had to walk 3 times, on very long hills. I surprised myself at how many shorter hills I rode up. On a three-speed!


1 comment:

MyStory of HiStory said...

That beach pic is lovely! Sounds like a really nice day. Chuckled when I came across the serious bike rider/Spandex comment :)