Thursday, July 15, 2010

What do you get when you mix two recipes?

Lunch! And it's a really tasty meatless summer salad!








I usually eat quinoa hot with stir fried vegetables, but recently read an article on using it as a summer salad base. Then I came across another recipe for a Curried Chicken Salad which had an interesting dressing. So I took the best of both recipes and came up with what might be my new favorite for cool summer meals.


This is what I combined:


1 cup quinoa, cooked in 3 cups water


Dressing:

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup plain yogurt (I prefer Greek style)
1/2 Tablespoon honey
1/2 Tablespoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon ground Turmeric
1/8 tesapoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
Pinch of Cayenne

Your choice of fresh veggies (I used some chopped scallion, broccoli florets, halved grape tomatoes)


Rinse quinoa to remove any grit. Drain. Boil until tender, 10 - 15 minutes. Drain. Put back in pot, cover and let sit for 5 minutes.

Mix dressing ingredients in bowl. Add quinoa and toss thoroughly. Add fresh veggies. Chill. I would say it serves 4. Paired with an accompaniment, it would serve 6.


I was so pleased by the tastes of the dill mixed with the turmeric and coriander! How different and refreshing on a summer day! I will try the original chicken version from Slice of Feist later but for now I'm good with the grains.


Have you been experimenting in the kitchen? Tried anything new and completely different?


And for dessert (or a mid-morning refresher), I packed a container of Greek yogurt with strawberries and blueberries from the freezer. They thaw quickly and it's like a mini-smoothie!

1 comment:

Erin aka Conscious Shopper said...

I've really been wanting to try quinoa lately. Thanks for the recipe!