Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Taking it a step higher







That's a tomato. Up there. Where I can't reach.


The original Arkansas Traveller tomato plant I purchased at the farmers market back in May grew so tall I actually had to top it, cut the main stems at the bottom of the deck upstairs. There were some blossoms right under the deck, so I cut the stem just above them. Of course, one of those blossoms turned into the only fruit on the entire plant! Even with a step stool I can't reach it, so when it's ripe I will probably have to do the lumberjack thing and cut down stem at the highest point possible.







My two "adopted" tomato plants are doing well, much smaller, but both have fruit. The Roma has a dozen small, green plum tomatoes!







The cucumbers show pormise! They suffered while I was away and lost dozens of blossoms from the extreme heat even though I had drenched them with water the morning I left.






I've been enjoying basil, dill, and parsley. And I'm getting very anxious to find out what's happening in my potato container. The above-ground plants have been very healthy and strong. I think I'll be digging through there to find out if there's anything hidden inside.......






This is what relief looks like. A few hours of rain, lightening, thunder, and wind last evening to break the hot, humid spell we've been in. It's cooler this morning and I'm enjoying the coolness through the open patio door while it lasts. The weather reports predict a return of the heat later.


Wishing everyone a pleasant day.

4 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

Wow - your tomato plant story reminds me of Jack & the Beanstalk!! That's one TALL plant! Strange that there's so little fruit tho'.

We had a tornado warning here last night as two powerful storm systems moved thru. Perhaps your rain was remnants of all of that.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi MyStory,
I've never seen such continued violent weather here in New England before! Hope there was no damage near you!

Wendy said...

We were supposed to get what you got - weatherwise - but it fizzled out and ended up being not much more than a very cool lightning storm. I grew up down south and saw stuff like that all of the time, but my girls, having lived their whole lives here in New England had never seen such. They were riveted to the windows ... it was better than TV :).

Your plants look awesome!

Maria said...

We got two storms yesterday also. One in the morning and one in the late afternoon. We needed the rain desperately, though.

I love that tomato on the ceiling!! Too funny!!