Saturday, July 31, 2010

Self-Stitched September - project #3

It's a Wilroy Traveller, and I was immediately taken by the fabric. It has that linen-like look, probably a poly-blend, washable. You can scrunch it, and it springs back without wrinkling. It may have been designed for travelling, but it will look fresh even during a rough day at work, and that's a good thing :)








Unfortunately it was too big for me. I knew it would need to be taken in, which turned out to be a major project. Even the pockets were too low. And do you see the epaulets? *o*






I pinned, stitched, cut, partially re-set the sleeves, repositioned the pockets 2 inches higher, and shortened the hem by 3 inches. The sleeves were too baggy so I removed some excess. I removed the shoulder dressing ;)




There's an inverted pleat below the back yoke, which I left but tacked down near my natural waist.








It's much smaller but still got enough room for comfort. Success! Now I'm off to find a brown belt to replace the black one in the second photo below......












....and put a dress form on my wish list.

3 comments:

farmlady said...

You are amazing!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Thanks, farmlady! I wouldn't claim to be amazing, just frugal :)

liveoncejuicy said...

Great job! I love it.