Thursday, July 15, 2010

Never mind the tools they make for the ladies!

Monday took me back to work after a gloriously hot and humid week off. Rarely do I take more than a long weekend as vacation, stretching out my days to span the summer. But this year I needed, and truely enjoyed, not thinking about business for a full week tucked in between two weekends (9 days!)

This time I was able to do something I normally can't..... I had offered to help my oldest son on any of his job sites, as an extra hand. He does landscaping and contracting. I always envy the diversity of his work. He may be putting in a patio today and building a terraced wall next week. Well, he accepted my offer and I tagged along to *help* build a walkway and steps over a ledge that had been a dangerous transition from a backyard hill to the patio behind a house.






I don't think I can call what I did much of a help (insert hysterical laughter here). I carried tools, unloaded the truck, screwed in some keyhole screws, cleaned up the work area, and loaded the truck when it was time to go. But mostly what I did was to be amazed at how skilled he has become. I've seen photos of his completed jobs, but it's different when you watch someone work. He has it planned out in his head, and just gets to it. Every cut was accurate and every obstacle easily overcome.







As someone who was involved in many, many home renovations years ago and, being now eager to have my own little "handyman's special" once again, I have gone back to the gym to turn the jelly in my upper arms back into something that resembles muscles. Seriously, the drill got heavy after about the first half hour :(




I refuse to buy tools with pink handles!

7 comments:

Maria said...

Good for you, sounds like you had fun and learned a lot about your son! I would never buy a tool with a pink handle either!!!!!

Mary said...

You must be so proud of your son-what a great mom to be a "go-fer" on the job site. Um, can I have your son do a bid on the same walkway for my yard? As I age (gracefully, damnit), my hillside terraces are becoming rather treacherous.

Yiota said...

You are a proud mum, aren't you? Good for you for helping out!

farmlady said...

That a girl! Get those arms in shape and learn to use those "man" tools. I just started to use small weights and rubber bands( the exercise kind) to strengthen my arm muscles. It makes such a difference when you are doing something that requires lifting and brute force.
NO pink handled, "I want to look pretty while I hammer this nail" tools for us.
That son of yours should be proud of his Mom.

MyStory of HiStory said...

Sounds like some really good quality time spent w/ your son! - & the walkway looks great! He obviously knows what he's doing & does it very well.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi folks,
I'll have to see how far he will travel for work ;) Maybe if I round up enough jobs, he will need a permanent helper!

maggie said...

Sounds like time well spent! I am often impressed and amazed by how proficient my kids have become in their areas of interest. It's a reassuring feeling for a parent!