Friday, June 4, 2010

There's a new game in town

You may have noticed - I've added a new button to my sidebar for Self-Stitched-September. It turns out that a lot of folks are having fun by stitching together their own clothing! Imagine that! What will they do next?



Photobucket



This is all happening over at Zoe's blog. They had a flickr group for their creations during Me-Made-May, and there are some really good stitchers out there! Since I've been itching to get stitching I jumped at the chance to join their fall challenge, and took the pledge:

'I, 4BushelFarmgal, sign up as a participant of Self-Stitched-September. I endeavour to wear at least one article handmade and/or refashioned item(s) of clothing every day for the duration of September 2010'.

Now, I surely couldn't wear my one bike top for the whole 30 days of September, so I'd better get the dust off my sewing machine (or is that pollen?) I have a few patterns (ahem, a few boxes of patterns!) and a potentially steady supply of repurpose-able fabric from the Goodwill. My goal is to refashion most of the items I'll be making from clothing found at secondhand stores. But I might have to add in some pieces from newly purchased material (gasp!) My fall and winter clothes have seen better days, so I'm looking forward to actually having a "new" wardrobe.

Those who are industrious may choose to wear only hand-crafted clothing with the exceptions of underwear, stocking, and shoes, although there are instructions out there on the internet for these and these, too!

I'll be posting my "new" clothing additions now and then throughout the summer. I figure that if I make between 5 and 7 items each month throughout the summer, I could mix and match to get through the challenge just fine. From the Me-Made-May group, it looks like September will be a daily wrap-up. (Speaking of wraps, I love wrap dresses! I've used to wear those in the seventies! I could make some new ones......)

3 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

You are ambitious! First Lilac & Dandilion jelly - and now this?! :) Looking forward to seeing some of the (re)fashions you make.

farmlady said...

This is quite an undertaking. Can't wait to see what you create. You're so creative.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

You are both very kind, but we'll see how it goes. I hope you'll be entertained and amused by my attempts at taking on this challenge :)