Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sometimes we just have to count our blessings

My bicycling buddy has had health issues for the past year that have sidelined her from time to time. This year she had just started to enjoy spring again when everything started going wrong. She will be in the hospital next week, and hopefully the procedure will take care of everything. She has a terrific family and many friends who will be there for her. Her husband is being very protective of her during this :)

This is one of those times when we think about all our petty complaints, and how lucky we really are. "If you've got your health, you've got everything." Remember that one? It's true. Yes, it rained and you forgot your umbrella. Or you paid for a dozen eggs, but the clerk forgot to put them in your grocery bag and they were left at the store. Is it really that bad?

We would ride on smaller loops of 5 miles or so, and we'd talk more than ride. She's hopeful to be back in the saddle in late summer or early fall. September in New England is beautiful on a bike. The recovery period will keep her setting still for a while and I'm sure she'll have trouble with that, but she'll probably have a good tan this year ;) I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her, and for the good Doc who will be working on her.

Enjoy your day, and remember to count your blessings.

3 comments:

Yiota said...

so true! some (most) of the blogs I read are written by people who do know how to count their blessings. I get inspired by everyone that way.

LilacCottageGoats said...

You are so right. Thank you for reminding us. We had a storm hit here acouple of days ago and it tore some of my veggie plants up. I was upset for a couple of days after. but you are right, in the sceem of things that was no big deal. Thank you again for reminding me how good I do have it right now.
Kelly

Wendy said...

Indeed! And I'm ever mindful of how truly good my life is. I have my health, my beautiful children are healthy, my husband is healthy, and we have a safe home and more than we need of everything. We are, indeed, blessed.

My best to your friend in hopes she has a speedy recovery ;).