Friday, June 11, 2010

Let there be music!

Do you ever thumb through the stacks of LPs at second hand stores, or watch those dedicated folks who will look at every record, trying to find some special one? In the hundreds that line the shelves, they look for that needle in the haystack, that one record that they wanted to buy when they were young but never did. Regrets can haunt you many years down the road.....

I picked up a little record player at the Goodwill for five dollars. It's just a tiny thing, and the sound isn't the greatest. But it works just fine. Then I went to look for a few old jazz and big band era records. The type of music that sounds good on a late October Sunday, when the world slows down and the roast is in the oven. Something from Fats Waller or Artie Shaw. What I found is quite the opposite. Obviously, someone my own age had divested their long-cherished records from their teen years, making available to me the likes of Jethro Tull, the Moody Blues, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, and Joni Mitchell. So the tunes wafting through my rooms lately have been the same ones that played on Friday nights while I completed my homework before diving into the weekend. It's fun, having those songs playing in the background while I'm baking bread or scrubbing the kitchen. And it's surprising that I can still sing along, the words coming back to me like they had neer left. Did my mother fret about this music of my generation as I did about that of my children's? Listening to it now, it still seems harmless.

I still want to find that Sunday morning music. I want to hear Mildred Bailey singing "I Thought About You" and some swing from the Tommy Dorsey band. I'll keep looking. At fifty cents per album, it's affordable. And I can re-donate any albums I don't enjoy, so that someone else can try them. I may even look for an old copy of .......


How about you? What do you listen to when you want to breeze through deep cleaning? Do you have a collection of CD's, or do you download the songs for workouts? What will you be listening to this weekend?

4 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

How cool is that?! What a treasure! I've long wanted to find one of the old "portable" record players...the kind you could close & carry like a suitcase :) One time we went somewhere that had a record playing jukebox...our kids didn't even know what records were! Strike & I are going on a field trip today & there's an antique store along the way (YOU would LOVE it...it's one of those BIG rambling ones & I think the building is as old as much of the stuff in it :) ... anyhow, now I'm rambling!- But maybe...just maybe...I'll pop in since you've re-inspired me along this line. I'd love to introduce my kiddos to some of the oldies but goodies :) ... & The old Christmas music too. I'm Dreaming of (hearing Bing sing) A White Christmas (just like the way I used to know)....from a record player! :)

When I was little I used to LOVE the "Pizza Song" we had on record..."When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, THAT'S Amore'"

Thanks!!!....for the memories :)

P.S. Remember the old 8 track tapes?!

Spring Lake Farm said...

Even though HB plays in a band and I love going and listening to them you have reminded me that I do not have enough music in my life. I'm going to work on that!

Have an awesome weekend!

Sandy

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi MyStory,
Oh, how I wish I had the portable player that my sister owned! Of course, it was quite large and heavy, but it was considered portable ;)

.... 8 tracks, oh yes! .....

Hi Sandy,
How lucky to have music in your family! And of course, the "music" in your yard supplied by your animals! :)

jen said...

Well Well Well my vinyl lovin' friend. I collect records and found garage sale to be a great place to find them:) I have records, tapes, CD'd and an Ipod just no 8 track :) I LOVE big band and swing all the way to current music like Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson, and Corinne Bailey rae - I really love a little of it all. But Mr Sinatra is my favorite especially when he was young and dreamy. I've been in a mel torme mood lately though, heehee
Have a great weekend!
luvs and glitter
~jen