Thursday, June 24, 2010

If you don't like the weather....

.....wait 5 minutes. It will change.

That's one of my favorite sayings. And it was more than accurate this afternoon, when the hot summer sky darkened and wind turned violent in southern New England. We watched from inside the office while trees whipped wildly and rain blew against the windows. Luckily, our power only flickered on and off a few times.

While we sat snug and safe at our desks, a tractor trailer was flipped on the interstate and a small plane tipped at a nearby airport. Five houses in the southern end of the city were demolished and several damaged severely. The mayor put a curfew into effect tonight, in the interest of safety.

Just as quickly as the weather came in, it moved on, leaving behind mess and destruction.




Then the sun came out.




* * * Thankfully, early accounts report no serious injuries.

6 comments:

farmlady said...

My gosh! I hope that's not your home with that tree down. Isn't weather stronger this year? It seems like there are more bad storms.

Yiota said...

Thank goodness for lack of injuries! What a storm!

MyStory of HiStory said...

Here too! It was intense there for a bit - but it wasn't long before the sun came out again & we enjoyed a lovely evening. Glad you were able to watch it from the inside out :)

Maria said...

Yep, crazy weather in New England. It came here too, but I think you got it worse in that end of the state.

Wendy said...

We had a crazy storm, too. I'd waited all day, knowing it was supposed to rain, with the sun playing hide and seek with the clouds, and finally, about 2:00, I decided I was just going to hang the clothes out and take my chances. Fifteen minutes later, we were having a torrential down pour.

The positive is that that load of laundry was rinsed really well :).

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello all,
Yes, it seems that the weather patterns are different lately, much stronger storms, and a lot more of them. Today this one was officially declared a tornado.

That's not my house, but one I drive by every day. My road is okay. (so strange that it hit some areas hard and skipped others!)

I'm glad you're all okay!