Thursday, June 17, 2010

another foraged jelly option?

This one has been on my mind since hearing about it last year. I still haven't convinced myself to try it.


It appears that this tree, which makes a lovely display in the late spring










forms these odd-looking edible fruit in the late summer and fall. And folks have made jelly from these fruits.






Second photo from this website:



I've read some "yeahs" and "nays" in the blogs on the taste of the fruit and jelly. Have you tried it? Can anyone give it a thumbs up?

2 comments:

farmlady said...

I thought it might be a Dogwood but I sure never knew you could make jelly out of the fruit. Aren't those berry fruit kind of hard and juiceless? I don't know anything about this fruit, so let us know if you find out any more information.
Lovely photos....

Aimee said...

that is definitely a dogwood, but I know nothing about the edibility of the fruit. I'd call the master gardeners at your local university extension.