Wednesday, June 9, 2010

And a pocket, too!

I'd love to own some of these tops for biking, but they're not in my budget right now. Before I got out my sewing machine, I had been wearing regular old plain T-shirt style tops, but I'd like to be a little more presentable without breaking the bank.





While looking through patterns for some Self-Stitched-September ideas, I came across this one. The lines on the jacket are similar to the blouse I desire so much. So I did a little rummaging.





And found a 1970 era polyester knit blouse. It even has the zipper like the sport top does.






I also came across 2 very lightweight men's sport shirts. I could use one of these and save the second for another day.







So I played with the pattern and the fabric. For one night my table was in a state of organized chaos. I poured out two cups of tea that both went cold.
Now I remember how easy and comfortable it was to sew with the poly-knits that we wore back then. The fabric is easy to work with, as well as being comfortable to wear AND it's drip dry. It went so well with the carefree era.









Taa daa!!! Today's finished results. (I'm so proud!) It's slightly big, but that's okay. It will be comfortable when moving. And I'll look so cool wheeling around :)



I even added that pocket in the back, like the "real" ones!



Someday I'll be ordering all the neat stuff in that catalog, but for now I'll settle for a quick self-stitched imitation. The two tops that I used for this cost a total of approximately $2.50, and I didn't even have to purchase a zipper. I've got a few more vintage jersey knits that I can restyle once I figure out what I need them to be. Gotta dance! Gotta play!

Whatever you do, make sure to have fun, folks!

5 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

I'm so impressed! You did a great job! It looks like something you'd find on the rack of an expensive cycling store! :)

Wendy said...

That's so awesome! What a gorgeous top. I am so impressed!

farmlady said...

Amazing! This is so clever and money saving. What a great idea. You could start your own vintage fabric clothing line.
Very cool!!!!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Thanks, everyone!
It was a fun project. And I learned a few things - the pattern was meant as a jacket, so it is loose-fiting. Even though I took it in, I should have started with a smaller for a better fit. But the best part is, my "lesson" didn't cost very much!

In every craft or endeavor, it's amazing what you can do with what you have!

Maria said...

Very impressed.....