Sunday, June 6, 2010

All you gotta do is look....

Whenever I visit VT, I make a few quick stops at some very quirky secondhand stores. I've posted about them before. They're the places where you'll find things that leave you scratching your head, wondering who would want to buy that??? Yet, going back a few weeks later, the older salon hairdryer is no longer there. Or the player piano has a "sold" sticker on it. Over the years I have realized that we each have unique styles and tastes. What appeals to me may not appeal to you. So, while travelling last weekend I made a few stops to see what had been pulled from attics and basements since the last time I came through.

At the larger store, there was nothing I *needed*. I picked out a pattern for a different style of top for biking. (I love, love, love the first one I made and have worn and washed it for every ride!) The large selection of furniture wasn't interesting. It will sell quickly, as soon as the college students are back to get their rentals furnished. The dishes and kitchenware were nice, but nothing I wanted. So I paid for my pattern and went to another shop, much smaller, much more overflowing, and much more interesting.

I started slowly in the front and worked my way to the back. Nothing, nothing, nothing, ….what’s this? I recognize her! I had one of these dolls when I was small. It’s Tammy. She was made as an alternative to Barbie, less developed, more realistic. She couldn’t wear Barbie’s clothes or compete with the advertising blitz that Mattel gave to their star so she didn’t last very long. Well, that’s okay….she’s coming home with me. I took her to the front of the store and asked the clerk what he would price her at. He looked her over and gave me a good price. Then he asked if I was interested in the two dolls in the case by the register. As I looked over there, I caught my breath. There were two of the Barbie dolls I owned 50 years ago, Midge, and blonde Barbie with the bubble cut hairstyle! Acting nonchalant, I asked to see them. After seeing the name marked on their derrieres, the clerk commented that they look nothing like their current day sisters and that their extremities had discolored over the years. I noted that their legs curved to the side, as if they had been stored in a very hot attic all these years. He offered all three dolls at a reasonable price. So yes, there were three very naked dolls in a cloth bag in the back of my car for the long weekend. Now I need to find out how to clean them without doing any damage, which means no bleach or cleansers. But that dirt and those stains have been there a long time….. The nice part is that none of them have had their fingers chewed, and the quality of the hairstyles on both dolls are quite good.










I’m amazed. I’m happy. These were the ones I had and I never thought I’d see them again. All my childhood toys are long gone. But now I’ve got these back. It just goes to show, you never know what you’ll find……

1 comment:

MyStory of HiStory said...

True friends are friends forever right?! Enjoy getting reacquainted w/ your old friends pictured here!! FUN!