Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What a haul!


I went to thrift shopping to find a knit dress to refashion into a biking top. I came out with 3 vintage dresses, 2 old puzzles, vintage sewing patterns, a cane-seat-thingy, old postcards, old Christmas package decorations, a folding camp-type stool, and more, and more, and…..oh, my!








This one has 2 small puzzles inside, and a sheet with suggestions for a "puzzle party". Sounds like fun! Just imagine what folks did before television took over our lives ;)











I love the graphics in this one. Unfortunately, my camera exposure did not do the vibrant colors justice. There are four pieces missing, but the little girl and her dog still look sweet.





I'm thinking about the Memorial Day parade coming up soon....I may take this handy dandy seat.






Just like I used some of my vintage greeting cards last Christmas, I will definitely be adding these to packages. That's re-using, isn't it :)





And these will be re-used, or recycled to other vintage sewing enthusiasts!





I couldn't leave these postcards behind, especially the ones with the older cars in the picture!




But, best of all, I DID find a knit dress to refashion into a biking top









I'll be working on it this week.



Whatever you do, be sure to have fun!



8 comments:

The Curious Cat said...

What lovely things! I'll be interested to see the bikini top - that material looks cool! xxx

Maria said...

Very cool stuff!!

What is a biking top??

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi C.C.,
Lol, after three children, my bikini days are over! :)
Check the link below...

Hi Maria,
Here's a link as an example:

http://www.terrybicycles.com/product/detail/1748/current/schrader-1

But the print on the material really would have made a great bikini!

farmlady said...

Since someone else asked, I too would like to know what a biking top is? Then someone said "bikini" top and now I'm really confused. I'll just wait until you make it. Please post the finished piece.

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

I love the shirt on the Simplicity 7037 pattern!

I've started my reading the books on my list for my summer children's/young adult literature course and I've noticed that a continuing theme seems to be the value (and magic) of second-hand items.

Any thoughts on that as a theme in young people's lit? I have wondered why it's theme and if it's intentional. I've never noticed it until now.

Wendy said...

Ha! Ha! When I read your post, I read "bikini top", too ;). Judging from some of the beach attire I've seen on my local beach, there's no such thing as "bikini days [being] over." *grin*

I love thrift shops. There are always such very cool things to find.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Courtney,
Interesting how it's showing up in young folks lit! Possibly just grasping on to a "fad" ??? (I'd hope it becomes mainstream.)

Hi Wendy,
Makes you wonder what they're thinking....! :)

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

I agree! I plan to highlight it as a theme in some of my papers/assignments! It's neat to consider WHY. I remember feeling so enchanted by the thought of second-hand items when I was little. Still do.