Monday, May 17, 2010

This and that

The farmers market opened this past Saturday, so of course my lunch was a beautiful tomato, fresh basil, and delicately pan-fried baby zucchini slices, all dressed with a drizzle of oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. It doesn't get much better than that! Except for what I'll bring home next weekend, and the weekend after that, and so on :)

My car spent Saturday at the dealer, getting the 30,000 mile check up (at 37,000 miles, ooops!) But they gave me a loaner with a sun roof :) Around here, cars are necessary. Everything is just far enough so that public transportation can't get you there. Even with transferring from bus to train to bus, I couldn't get from my home to JoAnn Fabrics or Barnes & Noble, approximately 17 miles away.

I'm embarassed to say that I haven't been riding my bike much this month. (hanging my head in shame) Between the weather, which is nice one day, then c.o.l.d. or raining the next, and the sinus infection I had, there has been little mileage put on these tires. Yesterday I took a short (5 mile) ride on the bike path but the clouds were foreboding. It seemed like a good idea to head back to the car. It's getting cloudy and dark again, as I type this....

I stopped at the second-hand store and scooped up a load of quality vintage clothing. These are items from Lord & Taylor and G. Fox, the kind of things that were tailor-fitted for the customer. Women's dresses and matching jackets, some with fur collars. They're the type of clothing I would dream of wearing, but unfortunately these are a vintage size 8 and smaller. You know, the tiny waist and hips size 8 from years back before they changed the sizing? I will either be bringing them to a vintage shop in Vermont, or trying to sell them online. And I'll keep looking. Someday I'll stumble onto a great vintage outfit for myself. In the meantime, I'll be sewing :)




I also tried this recipe for Lavosh, from the Circle-B-Kitchen, and it is really good! I have to stop myself from going back for more! Now that I finally have an oven, I really enjoy using my baking to keep more of those additives out of my food. Yes, organic flour is more expensive. And yes, using the oven adds to my electric bill. But I think I'm worth it. (You might want to scroll through the recipes on Cirle B's site. Everything looks sooooo good!)

I just started reading Affluenza, borrowed from the library. Let me know if you've read it, and if you liked it, but don't give away the ending, ok? ;)

4 comments:

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

I think I can forgive you for not riding your bike as often lately :)

It's the same way here-- you have to have a car to get around.

Justine said...

Your farmer's market feast sounds fabulous! :) I'm anxious for ours to start up again.

MyStory of HiStory said...

oops - that comment above was from me...didn't realize my daughter was signed in on my pc :)

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Courtney,
Wouldn't it be nice to bike to the store or farmers market? With a stop at the coffee shop, of course! :)

Hi MyStory,
I'll bet your market will be open very soon! Mid-May is the opening here. And that tomato was as good as could be!!!