Saturday, May 15, 2010

Surprising find

As I drove through town today, I passed a church tag sale and this caught my eye. I stopped by to see if my eyes deceived me, but it is what I thought it was.




My oldest son has this exact same kitchen set, but in much better condition. (note the enamel top with extensions) The one he has belonged to my in-laws, his grandparents. My mother-in-law had promised it to me 30+ years ago, because I always admired it. I knew that my first born should have it, for all the times he sat at the table and enjoyed her home cooking. After both of them had passed on it did, indeed, come to me. I used it in my Vermont country kitchen and, eventually passed it on to the next generation. He has it stored for the time being since his family is too large to fit around it.

This evening I regret not asking a few questions to the folks who were selling this set. Since it lives in the same town that my in-laws lived in, do these folks know where it was purchased? An approximate date of purchase? Who owned it? If I had only thought of these when I was there!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

What a gorgeous table set? So, did you buy it?

farmlady said...

This is a beautiful set. Did you buy it? You didn't say... That's a really find with the chairs too.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi,
No, I didn't buy it. I guess because we have the set that has family history. This one would have no "soul" to it for me.
Of course, I may kick myself for this later!