Saturday, May 29, 2010

One Small Change - May recap and June goals

Well, I haven't posted one of these in a while! But it keeps me on track if I publicly announce my goals, or admit my shortcomings :) And I've certainly got room for improvement!


In May I started doing more cooking from scratch... I started baking my own bread and crackers, and making pasta. I've cut out the additives and preservatives on these, and by using (mostly) organic ingredients, I'm eating healtier in these catagories.


Coming up in June - I'll do more cooking from scratch. I'm looking for more cracker recipes, and I'll try making soft pretzels and bagels, too.

I'll revisit the biking to work option. Shamefully, I have a whole pocketful of excuses as to why I only did this a few times. I'll have to try harder.

I've come up with some good *recycled* fabric to make more cleaning wipes. The few I had needed to be replaced, so I used the paper towels that were in the back of the closet, but those are gone now so I'm going back to cloth.

I'm also going to try switching from my old brand of coffee (when I finish the open bag) to a fair trade coffee. I listened to a discussion on NPR about the loss of migratory birds due to the destruction in other countries caused by our demand for products like coffee (pesticide use, deforestation, etc). I've heard about this for years but turned a deaf ear to it. Well, maybe it's time for me to start being more responsible about this.

On the bright side, last month's lower utility bill was not an anomaly! This is the current bill, which arrived last week. Usage for these two months are lower than the same time period last year. And my one BIG change for this was eliminating the tv. Even though it was on a power cord that was turned OFF when not watching tv, this shows how much power it really draws!

Yes, I would like to watch some news programs, but I read the news online anyway. And it is said that being able to watch tv 24/7 is a stressor. Well, I feel less stressed, so maybe it's true? Who wouldn't, with a doublescoop benefit of a savings on their electric bill :)

Please visit One Small Change to see what others are doing!

2 comments:

Hip Mountain Mama said...

You are doing so awesome!! I know what you mean about staying on track once it is announced publicly...the same goes for me as well. We love our fair trade coffee...and watching our bills go down as a result of less electricity used (in our case it is not using the dryer!)

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi H.M.M.,
Thanks for stopping over here. I'd like to thank you again for your continued work on One Small Change. There's a great community of folks who are participating, and we all get support from one another.
Best wishes!