Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A walk in the woods


I recently learned of a bike trail that starts about two miles from where I work - Woohoo! - so a co-worker and I took a 3 mile walk after work, just to check it out. And it is great! It cuts through the woods, running along a stream with all sorts of rock formations covered in moss. There were even loads of these



Jack In The Pulpit


and these





Red Trillium


At one point we left the hard-packed bike trail to wander off on paths that led down to the stream. There were three separate spots on this path covered in animal fur, like an animal had lay down there and rolled in the area. The fur looked like it was shed, or molted (is that the right word?) There was no blood or bones. Can anyone tell me what this was about?



There were three separate spots like this, each covering an area about 5 ft by 5 ft,so the animal(s) were pretty big. Or was it just a dog?

We will definitely be going back, with bikes. Supposedly, the trail goes for quite a few miles. I'm off to see if I can find out about it on the internet.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Wednesday!

3 comments:

farmlady said...

I'm afraid something got attacked. The reason you don't see any remains is probably because it was probably dragged off somewhere else . How sad!
Your header photo is absolutely beautiful...

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

Yeesh! I hope nothing got attacked! don't deer shed badly when they bed? Or did I dream that?

jen said...

The fur Looks like when my neighbor used to walk his collies and then brush them out at the end of my driveway and then walk away and leave mountains of fur in my yard! LOL true story....