Monday, April 19, 2010

Playing with my food



If you've learned anything about me, it's that I do things the hard way :)

Tonight I decided to start "getting to know my food" rather than just eat it, so (after dinner) I hand-mixed, rolled, and cut some semolina pasta. Yep, smashed the egg right into the flour on the counter and got my hands into it. I didn't quite roll it thin enough to be able to read the headlines through it, but almost....




Okay, I know I can buy good stuff with no additives and save a LOT of time. Or buy a food processor and a pasta roller. (Notice that both of those sentences contain the word "buy"?) But this was a mini lesson in what goes into us each day, and not taking everything for granted. I'm sure I won't be doing this all the time, but it felt good to make this batch tonight. Besides, I've nothing to watch on tv ;)

Four servings, 2 fettucini, 2 spaghetti



I'm thinking plain, with a little olive oil and parsley, for lunch tomorrow. Maybe with a side of broccoli.


P.S. Many years ago, my sons, husband, and I made pasta for Christmas Eve. It was great! I still have that video.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I love making my own pasta. I have one of those fancy-smancy pasta makers, but my favorite blade broke. So, I use it to flatten the dough, and then, I use the pasta cutter rolling pin I have to cut the noodles. It's a great project for my kids, too. They love it, and I love feeding them quality pasta made from locally milled flour and our own eggs ;).

I love what you said, "... nothing to watch on tv." I'm sitting on my huge bed with one lovely daughter sitting next to me (and another doing a play of some sort) listening to Zombie by the Cranberries ... and my daughter is singing to me ;). Could life be better?

farmlady said...

Oh, I'm so impressed. I have never made pasta from scratch..., and I'm embarrassed because I'm Italian.
When there's nothing to watch on TV..., I clean, or read, or bake cookies. Now you have thrown us a new challenge. Great photos...

Maria said...

I also love making pasta. I make the dough and am lucky enough to have the pasta machine to flatten it and then make what style I want.....I don't make it often enough though...I think next week, I may have to take out my machine....I have enough eggs, that's for sure!!!!???

As for TV, I don't know how people have time to watch it. I do like some programming (but not a lot), but I end up taping it and then watching it back sans commercials - so what usually takes an hour, I can view in about 28 minutes.....that's all the time I have!!!!

If you have the opportunity to watch "Life" on the computer (the series was on Discover Channel and was hosted by Oprah - a documentary in multiple parts) - it was fabulous and very educational!!!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Wendy,
Even though it's so simple, it is such an enjoyable dish when it's made from scratch. Especially when the children join in!

Hi farmlady,
And I'll bet those other things that you did were ALL more enjoyable than watching a tv show. With spring and summer it's easy to turn that box off. As far as a challenge, how about skipping it 1, 2, or 3 times per week? :)

Hi Maria,
It would just take 1 of those big eggs to make pasta to feed the family!
I just found the site for "Life". Sounds very interesting, good topics. I'll be watching it. Thank you!

http://www.pbs.org/lifepart2/watch/season-1