Saturday, April 17, 2010

One Small Change - mid April update and winding down

All my changes for Hip Mountain Mama's One Small Change Challenge have become part of my regular routine.

I eat very little beef, occasional chicken, and seldom pork. It's just as easy for me to cook up some wild and brown rice or a legume dish. I have fish once a week, or twice if I'm splitting a can of tuna into two meals. French toast with a banana is eggscellent for a quick and nourishing Friday night supper. Even (organic, natural) PB on toast can be satisfying knowing that it doesn't have all sorts of ingredients that I can't pronounce in it.

My coffeemaker is still packed away, since I enjoy my cold brewed coffee. It's much less bitter and has less acid. AND it takes less time since my batch is enough for about three days.

I've switched off regular deodorant for a homemade recipe that was shared by some friends. The last of the store-bought stuff is in my travel bag.

I don't have cable anymore and gave away my television. Almost 95% of the time, I don't miss it. I have been able to watch Jaime Oliver's Food Revolution on the internet, and I admit I'd like to watch the news once in a while. But overall, it was a good choice. (I will be going to my mother's to see Food, Inc on PBS this coming week. Sorry, but it's important!)

I also decided to bike to work two days per week now that the weather is good. I started with one day, but was encouraged when Jenn of the Green Phone Booth offered up a challenge.

I'm happy with all the changes I've made because they were ones I chose - ones that I thought would be difficult but turned out fun. While condo living doesn't allow for the wholesome lifestyle I'd like to be living, I can reduce my impact on the Earth.

Many thanks to Hip Mountain Mama for 3 and 1/2 months that taught me a few things about myself. I'm almost sad to see this finally coming to an end. And congratulations to all who participated, whether for one month or three. Every little step helps!

7 comments:

farmlady said...

I admire what you have done over the last few months. This takes an inordinate amount of fortitude and self determination.
Why be sad? It doesn't have to come to an end. Not all of it. You can choose to keep some of these choices for good.
And your right..., every little step helps.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi farmlady,
Thanks for stopping by. You're right, I'll be keeping the changes that I've made, with an occasional slip now and then, I'm sure ;)

I think I'll miss learning from the other participants in the challenge - reading their changes and ideas. Folks changed everything from disposable-to-cloth diapers, dinner by candlelight instead of electric, composting, and so much more. It was quite an eye opener!

I'm still looking for a different kind of "challenge" to get into the summer months.... I just haven't stumbled on the right one, yet...

Maria said...

As always, I commend you. You are an inspiration to me! Thank you!!!

I am heading on a mini vacation (much needed) this coming weekend, but let me know if you ever get to my neck of the woods, I have fresh eggs and sun brewed ice tea to share! Have a great week and I hope the weather cooperates for your bike riding!!!!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Maria,
Ah, is this the trip to Florida? I hope you have a great time!

Maria said...

Yes, it is!!! and Thank you!

Hip Mountain Mama said...

These are some really great changes you made! I am so glad that you were a part of this!!

Congratulations on all your changes!
We are keeping the blog active year round, so stop by for blog posts offering support for those who wish to continue the challenge, ideas, inspiration, and guest blog posts. If you would like to be a guest blogger, we would love to have you (email me at suzy@hipmountainmama.com)
Thanks and congrats on all your efforts!
~Suzy

Wendy said...

Wow! Great changes! Biking to work is an awesome idea.