Sunday, April 11, 2010

Obsession, it's not just a perfume

I almost skipped the second hand stores this week, but decided to take a quick look around. It worked out well. I came home with some additions to my stash of women's housedresses and smocks. I have about a dosen of these and they are by no means resellable, sometimes threadbare and stained. But I can always find parts of them that can be put into a quilt. I had first thought about a simple, cheery dresden plate quilt, or an appliqued Butterfly or Sunbonnet Sue, somewhat typical of the 40's. But my mind is also playing with a cityscape, to portray the women who stayed home to cook, clean, and raise babies while their husbands went off to work. I've got plenty of time to think about it. In the meantime, I'm having fun finding these. (Side note: why were so many housedresses from the 50's, 60's, and 70's made in blue?)







Adding to my projects is this jersey knit dress, which will make one or maybe two sleeveless bike tops which I can wear once the weather warms up again. We are at our normal 40-50 degree range today. I'm glad I closed the windows last night.






But what made it all worth going was these two treasures:







I had never seen or heard of them before. But, given my fascination with life in the time of the second World War, I had to get them. I'll be doing some research on the internet tonight.









I love the shapes that were added to some of the pieces in this one.

Today I'll be on the path, hopefully before it gets crowded. And I have to pick up some veggies on the way home. But there was one item I passed up yesterday. I wonder if it's still there? Should I?

4 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

Those puzzles are really cool. What a find! They don't make 'em like that anymore. Love the fun shaped pieces.

Robj98168 said...

I am guessing the dress color of choice was blue as that (in the 50's) was the assumed color on TV. When COlor TV came about, all the mom's on TV wore blue house dresses. That's my guess!

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

I love your idea of the cityscape to portray the lives and scrifices of women in that era. How amazing! Sounds like a piece you could exhibit somewhere once it's finished... or even take it around as a visual aid and give presentations to high shoolers!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi MyStory,
I agree - They are cool! I had never heard of them before.

Hi Rob,
I'll bet you're right! I never thought about the impact of color tv on fashion for housewives/moms.

Hi Courtney,
Thanks, I'll be sketching a lot until I come up with the design. We'll see...