Monday, April 26, 2010

Getting back into the swing of things

The first day back at work is always hectic, trying to catch up while work keeps moving along! But all is well and I'm back in the kitchen lab tonight, making bread. I decided on a loaf of English Muffin bread, simple and no kneading.

I may not be able to do this every time I need more bread, but I'd like to experiment with different grains and loaves. I like knowing what all the ingredients are in what I eat. The savings in cost and less plastic will probably be offset by the energy used by the oven*, but it's fresh and there are no preservatives.

*By the way, my electric use for last month sans television was 33% less than the previous month. This may not be an accurate representation of savings because the warmer weather has drastically reduced my heating usage. However, it was also 29% less than the same time period last year.

The rain that began on Sunday is expected to spill over into Tuesday, so my biking days will be limited this week. I have committments scheduled for Wednesday, which means that Thursday and Friday are my last resorts!

2 comments:

Maria said...

I'm getting back into the swing of things, too, after four days of R & R. Life is good!

Congrats on lowering your electric bill - that is fabulous!

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

Good for you on the bread! And I agree, I like to know what's in my food, too.