Monday, March 1, 2010

Series books from the 70's

One of the neat things that were part of the 70's were the books that came out as a series, so you could build the collection over time. They were like a monthly book club. Of course, it was a marketing scheme, but we loved the idea.

You could buy a cookbook binder at the grocery store and then each week (or when posted), buy the next section, eventually filling it. Or you could subscribe to Golden Hands, received by mail. It was a great series on all needlework forms.

One of my favorites was The Family Creative Workshop. Occasionally, I find a copy in a thrift shop and enjoy thumbing through it. Sometimes I'll buy it, read it at home, and re-donate it. The series was written by folks who specialized in each subject, either men with long-hair, mustaches, and mutton-chops, or women with long, straight hair. The crafts were all survival skill varieties which seemed so "hippie-ish" back then, but are the things we all seem to want to know today. They wrote about everything from making a hammock to metalworking.











The copy I bought this past weekend is book #3 - Boxes to Card Tricks, and I might just keep this one. It has a detailed section on Brewing with Roots and Herbs, and a wonderful write-up on Sourdough Bread and starter.


Have you seen these? Or do you remember them? :)

2 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

I don't remember these but they do seem pretty neat. I like that they teach skills - which I tend to think our society in general is lacking in. We have more info than ever at our fingertips & yet can't seem to do (or don't want to do?) much of anything. The cover you pictured here reminds me of making candles at home when I was kid. FUN! I think we used frozen juice concentrate cans as our molds :)

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

My parents have lots of "series" of books from the Seventies. I used to love looking through them. There's series on types of birds, ones on reptiles, one on Christmas crafts, one of Garden poems. Interesting that it was a fad!

This post me wonder if the REader's Digest Condensed Books that I have seen for YEARS was part of this fad. Apparently, it started in the 50's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reader's_Digest_Condensed_Books