Saturday, March 6, 2010

Paying it forward!


I feel so lucky, or blessed, or both! Yesterday I received an email saying that I was one of the winners for Hip Mountain Mama’s One Small Change for March! My prize is beautiful handmade earrings and inspirational cards from Garden Mama! She has some lovely things in her shop, and I am enjoying her blog. It’s a warm, happy place with beautiful photography. Thank you again, Garden Mama and Hip Mountain Mama!


And…..


My book review – No Impact Man

Okay, I liked this book. Even though Colin Beavan tosses out statistics here and there, it’s not a dry read. It’s an honest, how-do-I-do-this-without-causing-too-much-pain-for-those-around-me, explanation of the year he took on the challenge of living in NYC while making as little impact on the environment as possible.

He had already become an authority on environmental living when I started reading his blog. After reading this book, I understand why. During his No Impact year he tackled problems of transportation, take out food, and disposable diapers, among others – while remaining human. I especially liked his thoughts on how the bombardment of advertising affects our general unhappiness, making us believe we need more and better and newer. What makes this interesting is that he has a family, so there were other people for him to consider when making lifestyle decisions.

There is a wealth of information, links, and resources in the appendix. I've added to my "must read" list. :)

So, to pass along all the good karma I’ve been receiving AND to mark my first year anniversary of posting on the ’net, I will pass this book on to someone who would like an enjoyable read into the history of the No Impact Man. Please put a comment on this post by midnight on March 21st. A winner will be drawn and the book will be in the mail on the 22nd!

7 comments:

gardenmama said...

It is wonderful to make this connection with you, I am happy to have found your blog and can't wait to send your gifts to you!
Congratulations on one year of blogging!! : ) xo

MyStory of HiStory said...

Happy Blogiversary!

Thanks for the book review here....sounds interesting - esp given the great lengths he went to in this day & age.

Maria said...

Congrats on your prize - You are lucky because I think you won another prize a while back!

I would love to read that book!

Hip Mountain Mama said...

Oh I have been wanting to read this book. What a great idea to pass it along! Thanks Mama!!
Suzy

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

Oh, that would be a great book to read!

CONGRATS on your win AND your first year. WOW!

Robj98168 said...

Don't count this as an entry- I am on the waiting list at the library for this book! Congratulations on your 1st year blog-iversary... Glad I found your blog...and a cohort in crime!!!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Rob,
Thank you! I enjoy your blog, too. You've got some great ideas!