Monday, March 1, 2010

In the kitchen lab

How strange that I did not care for science in high school, neither biology nor chemistry, yet I am fascinated by all things scientific when I study at my leisure. Especially the chemistry part. I mix washing soda and borax for cleaning laundry, use salt and lemon juice to clean rust, and baking soda with vinegar to clean all sorts of things. Yesterday I conducted another kitchen laboratory experiment, using a recipe recommended by Wendy and Maria.








Of course there was that trepidation, "do I bring the coconut oil to a liquid state or try using it as a solid?", and "did I put in too much?" As a solid, it looked like I goofed. So I set the bowl in a pan of hot water to soften, which it did quickly. Then everything looked too "liquid". But I let it set. Which is hard for an impatient person like me to do :) I found an almost empty container in my travel bag, I cleaned it out and refilled it with the mixture when it started to solidify.







Today is the test. I've showered and applied my homemade deodorant mixture. It will be very hectic at work this week, and may provide for some very long days.

But the best part of all this; I was able to explore a little more in my kitchen "lab".

Have a great day, and keep on learning!



On a side note to Wendy and Maria, or anyone who uses this recipe (baking soda, cornstarch, coconut oil, tea tree oil, and lavendar oil), does it get messy or leave a residue on your clothing in the summer? Do you let the coconut oil turn to liquid before mixing? How thick should the consistency be when mixing?

8 comments:

Wendy said...

I do not let the coconut oil liquify before mixing. I use it in whatever state it is in, which is usually semi-soft. The consistency I get when mixing is something akin to a paste.

During the summer, I keep my deodorant in the refrigerator, because we don't have any air conditioning, and room temperature in my house is usually warm enough to liquify the coconut oil (even the stuff in my cabinet). Because it's in the fridge, it does not leave a mess on my clothes any more than it does in the winter.

It smells great, doesn't it? I've been using this recipe or something similar for over a year now, and I LOVE it!

Maria said...

I do not melt the coconut oil either. However, it is cold in my house in the winter (60 degrees) and if it is just TOO solid, I'll throw the mixture (everything) into the microwave for 7 or 8 seconds, just to soften it. I work it with my hands (I sort of knead it to pick up all the dry ingrediants) and it works perfectly. I think the consistency is more like a dough, but softer. Paste (to me) is a little too wet.

Keep it in the refridgerator in the summer and it will be fine. It leaves a residue sometimes on the inside of the clothes, but nothing more than your regular deoderant leaves. It is the same in that respect.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

wow....that looks like fun....

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi folks,
I got through a very hectic day - pleasantly surprised.
Okay, so my first batch was a little too soft, but the batch size was about 1/4 of the written recipe, so it was no great loss. And I'll still use it, it just wasn't the desired consistency. My next batch will be better.

Many thanks!

Kathy said...

Wow! I am so excited to try this. I bought some natural deodorant at WholePaycheck and must say, I smell a little too natural. :( Not to get all personal, but do you sweat a lot? I need pretty powerful stink protection...

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Kathy,
There were many "traditional" commercial brands that just didn't work for me, so I stuck with one that did (see the empty container in the photo? strong stuff...) I've been very happy with the natural mixture. I like knowing that I'm not putting nasty chemicals on my skin anymore.
You may already have most of the ingredients in the house, should you decide to try it! Please let me know if you do.

gardenmama said...

That sounds great! Something I too would be interested in making!

Hip Mountain Mama said...

I read your post the other day but forgot to comment! I love your kitchen lab and can't wait to hear how it goes. Please feel free to stop by any time this month and let us know how it is going! http://1smallchangeblog.blogspot.com/
Suzy