Wednesday, March 17, 2010

91 years ago today

I stopped at Crumbs Cupcakes, a new-ish bakery in Westport. I had noticed this shop sitting across from the library parking lot, but never fit it into my schedule. Well, today was the PERFECT reason to peruse their selections, since it happens to be not only St Patrick’s Day, but it is also my mother’s 91st birthday! I routed my drive so that I could bring her something different today. And these were definitely different. There were all sorts of varieties that I just can’t remember, but these were (clockwise from top: Grasshopper, Tiramisu, Red Velvet).



I didn’t want to bring just one, because she should have something leftover for tomorrow. So I picked out two, but maybe she wouldn’t be thrilled with my choices. I added a third, completely different.

We each had a cup of tea and cut portions of the grasshopper and the tiramisu, which were both good. We didn’t make it to the red velvet, but it was tempting….. She’ll have plenty leftover to choose from tomorrow, and the day after that! They’re quite a bit larger than the ones that come from my muffin pan!

I owe a lot to her. She’s always been self-sacrificing for her children. Typical of her mothering skills was the time when I was in early grade school, woke up for school and remembered that I was supposed to bring in soil for a planting project that day. While I dressed and had breakfast, she took a trowel outside and dug up enough FROZEN dirt and thawed it in a warm oven for me.

I had the soil for class. She had a few more grey hairs. Thanks again, Mom!

5 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

A VERY sweet story ... in more ways than one! :)

Wendy said...

Happy (belated) Birthday to your mom! What a great story!

I hope on my 91st birthday that my daughers will reminisce about ways that I came through for them when they needed me. It's the best (and worst) part of being a Mom ;).

Those cupcakes sure look yummy!

Maria said...

The cupcakes look wonderful.....mmmmm. (I would have tried the red velvet first - that's my fave)

Great story about your mom. Happy Birthday to her!

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

I don't know which I would choose. You were right to buy all three.

Happy Birthday to your mom!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Thank you for all your kind comments, and the birthday greetings!