Friday, February 19, 2010

RR

While in Vermont last weekend, I took some photos of things I want to remember. Here are a few which relate to an earlier post, in which I tried to explain the importance of the railway system on the early families of northern Vermont. This more modern building is still in operation, however most of it is used by other organizations.



Behind it is this smaller building, still in use but not open to the public.



While across the street is this reminder of olden days. It appears to have been a hotel or boarding house in an earlier life, probably necessary for those travelling by rail. It has that 1890's era look.





Driving around this town, you'll see reminders of the rail lines, like this discarded freight car that someone salvaged for use as an outbuilding on their property. On the left hand side of the photo you can see the angle of the roofline and what was the sliding door that was used when loading the car. It probably carried everything from livestock to grain over hundreds of trips.





I can remember in the 1980's they replaced the timbers in a section of track and offered the used ones free, if you could haul them away. They went quickly.

New Englanders are thrifty folk. Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. Nothing goes to waste. A shed may look like it is filled with junk, but in that pile of "junk" is just the piece that you need to fix something, saving a trip to the hardware store on a rainy Sunday. More than once, I was helped by neighbors who had that perfect piece on that rainy Sunday....






4 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

Wow - such good words to live by here: Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

I think it would just be so cool to take a train across the U.S. ... mb head out across the northern part & return via a more southern route. So much to see by taking it slow & traveling off the main boring concrete/asphalt highways.

In three homes we've lived in, including this one, we've been near enough to hear a train. I like it. My mother-in-law has said to the effect that as long as there are trains running & planes flying - you have a sense that all is well. Given what happened right after 9/11, I'd say there's some truth in that.

Wendy said...

I love trains. I hope that *we* will realize how important trains are to our national cohesion, especially with the threat of energy depletion staring us in the face, and decide to try to salvage what's left of the dying infrastructure.

Luckily, where I live, we still have access to a passenger train, but most of our rail system across the country has been dismantled. It's a pity.

I have to second your sentiments of New Englanders. As a proud transplant, I find my neighbors and in-laws amazingly frugal, without being cheap, and I've learned so much from them since I moved here.

liveoncejuicy said...

What lovely pictures! I'm taking the train from New York City to Montpelier, Vermont in April and now I'm even more excited than usual. I adore traveling by train.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi MyStory,
I agree about the train ride cross-country. Taking a calmer, peaceful route....

Hi Wendy,
I am so FOR improving public transport. Unfortunately, most folks want the convenience of their cars.
I'm glad you're enjoying living in N.E.!

Hi liveonce,
Montpelier is FULL of history. Ask around about the big flood. I think Rivendell Books on Main Street used to have old black&white photos of it on the walls.