Wednesday, February 24, 2010

One Small Change - February update and plans for March

I'm still writing 2009 on checks, which is understandable since I write so few checks in this e-commerce world. So it's hard to fathom that the second month of 2010 is almost gone. Time is flying, folks! Winter, for those of us in the northern hemisphere, will soon be a romantic memory of snowfalls and woodsmoke curling from chimneys.

It's also the end of the second month of Hip Mountain Mama's One Small Change Challenge. Here is how my two months have racked up so far....

I continue with my January goal of reducing my beef intake, having partaken in a total of three beef meals so far this year. Protein has been from grain, legumes, fish, and some chicken. Last week I bought a handful of filberts to experiment, and found that they are really good when ground (large pieces) and added to my morning oatmeal with honey. They're also good in a pancake made from mixed wheats with a heaping spoonful of cornmeal added in. I'm stepping outside the banana and apple life, that's for sure. :)

As a result of my February goal I packed my coffee maker away. I am so satisfied with cold-brewing that I put it away. 'Nuff said.

In March I will try some homemade deodorant recipes and/or this product . I'm concerned about the chemicals we use on our skin, which eventually are absorbed into our bodies and can affect health with long-term usage. Skin Deep, the Cosmetics Safety Database from Environmental Workers Group, gives this deodorant a hazard rating of "0". I've been a fan of the EWG for about six years, and subscribe to the Daily Green. Both are good references for healthy options. Now it's time to use their research for my well being.

I added another goal for March when I paid my cable bill for service through March 15th. After that, the cable will be discontinued, and the tv will be unplugged and put in the basement until I decide whether or not to post it on Freecycle. The elimination of that bill will not result in a great monetary savings, but there is currently this black box in the corner of my living room that is rarely used. Yes, I watched about four hours of Olympics coverage this past weekend, but mostly it sits....and sits. Which I certainly don't want to do with spring around the corner :)


5 comments:

Wendy said...

Great goals!

As for switching deodorants, I've been making mine for over a year, now, and I love it.

The recipe is:

Add 1c each baking soda and corn starch. Blend with 10 to 20 drops of essential oil (I use lavendar and tea tree oil ... and sometimes Pachouli - when I have it). Mix with coconut oil until desired consistency.

I have a leftover stick deodorant container, which I refill with my own deodorant. One batch lasts about four months. It works really well, and smelling like coconut is not a bad thing ;).

I do have to keep mine in the fridge during the summer, though, because the coconut oil tends to liquify at higher temperatures ;).

Maria said...

Wendy's post above....EXACTLY... I do the same thing for me and my sister about every six-eight weeks. We only use tea tree oil for my essential oil and keep it in the fridge in the summer. I save my husband's AXE deoderant containers because they are a little bigger.

With my Zumba classes going full throttle, I can testify that this product works!!!!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Thank you, Wendy and Maria! It's great to get a double-affirmative on your recipe. I've got everything except the essential oil, which I can get during lunch tomorrow. I'll have to use a small glass jar until I can beg a used container from one of my sons....

farmlady said...

I use Tom's natural deodorant stick. It seems to work well. It contains Hops to inhibit the growth of odor causing bacteria and zinc for long lasting odor prevention and lavender oil. I consider this a better choice than regular anti-persperant deodorants.
Does the mixture of baking soda and cornstarch work well in the summer? Is it messy? Does it leave a residue on your clothes? I would really like to know.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi farmlady,
Tom's was also on my list. This time around I'm going to try the recipe that Wendy and Maria have mentioned.

If anyone has answers to farmlady's questions, please join in to help us!