Tuesday, February 9, 2010

In the news

A few co-workers took a lunch time trip to the new dollar-type store that opened near work. I declined the invite to accompany, partly because I do very little shopping other than groceries. (This was the first “R” that I adopted years ago – “Reduce”. If I don’t really need anything, then why go shopping?) But mostly because my opinion of the products they carry isn’t very high.

I question the manufacturing process that produced all the plastic doodads, the wages paid to the workers who made them, the fuel to deliver them to stores in the US, and the landfills that they will live in forever. Or worse, the toxins released into the air when they are incinerated.

Coincidentally, this article about the dangers of lead and cadmium in cheap jewelry at Dollar Stores appeared in yesterday’s Burlington Free Press online. The trinkets are marketed for children (young girls) who would be susceptible to the carcinogenic effects of lead and cadmium. These items were tested and found to be many multiple times over the acceptable limit. It boggles my mind to think that any company CEO could willingly produce things that are known to be dangerous for children, or that these products will eventually sit in landfills, leaching out toxins for decades to come.

Thankfully, the Attorney General’s office is diligent about this, but it is sad that they should have to be. And I wonder how many items get through for each one that is found.

4 comments:

Shaunta said...

It's so easy to fall into thinking that if something is being marketed, it can't be really dangerous. Thanks for the reminder that that just isn't true.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Shaunta,

You're absolutely right, we take product safety for granted!

Scattering Lupines said...

It always boggles my mind, too! Don't you WANT your consumer to be SAFE? Ridiculously oxymoronic, even in the free market sense, not to mention the HUMANE sense!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

i walk in those stores and my eyes water..all that plastic...

i usually just turn around and leave and ask myself what was i thinking in the first place...

more later, my friend
kary
xxx