Thursday, February 4, 2010

In awe

For at least six months I’ve been driving past this billboard. Usually, they change the sign every month or so, but it is very noticeable when something that is expected to change – doesn’t.




I had heard of this professor in the news a few years ago. How he was diagnosed with cancer and had a very short time left. How he gave his “Last Lecture” at the college where he worked. Then I filed that piece of information in the back of my mind.

Last week I stopped over at Dewin’s blog to catch up on her postings. Imagine my eyes opening wide as I read her review of The Last Lecture written by Randy Pausch. Okay. With her recommendation I decided that this is a book that I had to read.

From the first pages the simple, straightforward honesty kept my interest and made it difficult to put the book down. Prof. Pausch details his life, in particular his childhood dreams and ambitions. But his message is how to encourage and enable your children (and others) to reach their dreams. His simple guidelines are so admirable.

He did not want sympathy, but only to tell the world about his happiness in life. By doing so, he gave us a “gift” of these guidelines that we can use to improve our lives and the lives of others.

When I looked inside the cover I saw how many times the book has been checked out of the library. It felt good to know that his message is still reaching so many people.



4 comments:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

i have been puting off reading this as i lost my mom to pancreatic cancer...it will be 4 years this august..so maybe i am ready.....

i'll check it out at the library...

do you think i should?

miss seeing you...glad to stop by and visit today...

more later, my friend
kary
xxx

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Kary,
It's hard to put this into words.... His book is not a down-and-out story of his health, so it's not what you may be expecting.
Read the first few pages while you're in the library, then decide.
I think you'll like it.

farmlady said...

I have heard of this young man and saw a documentary on him. I was impressed with his "joy of life" and the way he faced his illness. I will have to find the book and read it. Thank you.

MyStory of HiStory said...

That does sound like a very interesting book. Kinda makes me wonder what I would do differently if I knew I was likely going to die very soon.