Monday, February 1, 2010

Grandma knew

My condo has a nice, thick wall-to-wall carpet in the large living/dining room combo and in the spacious bedroom. It was brand spankin' new when I bought the unit. (Wood floors would have been nice, but the carpeting keeps it warmer in winter.) Since I don't track in dirt (shoes come off at the door) it stays kinda clean, although my sewing machine tends to drop thread pieces and there may be a crumb or two around the table. I still can't figure out who's been doing that.....

But I only plug in my vacuum about every six weeks. Two years ago I found one of these in a Goodwill for six dollars, and it works great. I use it as often as is necessary. I don't have to empty or replace a bag, and it doesn't need electricity.





I remember, as a waitress, using a small carpet sweeper to clean up after the lunch rush was over and how well it would pick up the mess from under the tables. So I snatched this helper when I saw it in the shop.

As I get older I see how our parents and grandparents did okay without all the technofuss and bother that we accept as normal today. They kept busy, productive, and lived contented lives. And gosh!, they didn't have to go to the gym to get their workout, which is where I just came from. Please excuse me, I've got to shower and get ready for work.

Have a great Tuesday, no matter what Punxsutawney Phil says! :)

7 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

So true....Seems it used to be that the goals was to do the work that needed to be done on any given day - & exercise was gotten that way. "Our goal" today?... Seems we try so hard to do as little as possible in hopes of finally reaching a point where we having nothing to do - where's the fun/satisfaction in that? Sadly tho' seems on a grand economic scale it's working - as evidenced by the number of jobs being sent overseas :(

liveoncejuicy said...

I love this post! I'm starting a whole series on my blog about what my Nana knew. I would love if you linked to this story when it's up. Those little non-electric sweepers are great, aren't they? My husband works an overnight shift and sleeps during the day. A sweeper like that would let housework get done without waking him up. I want one :)

Scattering Lupines said...

Hmmm. Another good point! The gym, the techno.

I do love my gym visits, though!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

i want a 'quick and easy'...oh, i LOVE it....seriously love it...

would be great around here..2 long hair kittys in here with me...and i hate having to turn on the vacumn cause they don't like it....

i think i am going to the goodwill today..


more soon, my friend
kary and buddy
xxx

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi MyStory,
The wonders of our modern times... :)

Hi liveonce,
I'm looking forward to your series! I'll gladly comment/link.

Hi Lupines,
In the winter, I also like going to the gym. Gotta work out those kinks!

Hi Kary,
Oh! cat hair! What we go through for those we love..... :)

Maria said...

Yes, Grandmothers Knew!! (or in my case, My Nonni's knew)!

One of My Nonni's also had one of those sweepers and we kids loved to use it when we were small.....

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

i know...i did go to the goodwill..but no luck..so this morning i went old fashion....

a broom and dust pan....

more later, friend
kary