Monday, February 22, 2010

Challenge!


Here I was, cleaning out the cupboard with my spices and dried foodstuffs, when I came across:




I bought these when one of those big-chain drugstores was trying to get rid of them for five cents per pack, late last fall. The veggies are for the containers on my deck, but the flowers were bought for something else entirely…..

I had read about a group in England who were brightening spots in urban settings by planting flowers in neglected spots; those little patches of land by the roadside that get filled with weeds or trash. Inspired by their accomplishments, groups have formed elsewhere to join in the project.

I’m currently living in a city. No two ways about it, it’s not filled with rolling meadows and beautiful vistas. It’s got mega-traffic, fast-food chains, and litter. There are some pretty spots like this median that is planted with perennials, but there are also some forgotten little spaces. My plan was to brighten a space or two with the flower seeds.

I put the packets back to wait until next month.

Blog-reading the next day, I almost fell of my chair when I clicked on Rob’s post, hinting about a Guerilla Gardener Challenge. Today he has explained that he’s planning a beautification project and is looking for others to join in the fun. Please take a look at the links he has posted for an explanation and ideas. And please consider joining in!

Almost like those seed packets were trying to tell me something.

By the way, I did get the cupboard cleaned out.

I think I'll be stopping at the garden center on my lunch break....

6 comments:

farmlady said...

Save those seed packets. They make great paper for collage work.
I like the Gorilla Gardener idea..., and nice work on your cupboard. Want to come and do mine?

cindy said...

Your cabinet is so pretty now. And kudos to you for trying to make the world a prettier place.

Scattering Lupines said...

This post and your link made me think of the children's book "The Curious Garden" by Peter Brown.

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Hey Farmgal, YOU CAN DO IT. When I lived in Santa Barbara I started a small herb and scented pelargonium area in a neglected part of town. Then when I moved to the coast of California my son and I always scattered the seeds of native plants along the roadsides. When those little flowers popped up we were over the moon with joy.

Just go out and scatter seeds as soon as you can.

Joys,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

MyStory of HiStory said...

Now that's a challenge I just might be up to! Sounds like so much fun :)

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello farmlady,
I'll keep the empty seedpackets, just in case I get creative :)

Greetings cindy,
I can actually see what I'm looking for in there, now! Thanks for stopping by!

Hi Lupines,
I'll have to look for that book. I've been thinking of Miss Rumphius spreading beauty and happiness. :)

Hi Sharon,
I'll bet that looked beautiful! Would you like to scatter some more?

Hi MyStory,
Yes, it's got just that little twist of adventure. And the benefits can't be beat; pretty flowers in unexpected places.

Okay, folks. I'm giving it my best sales pitch. How about tossing caution to the wind, along with a handful of flower seeds? Take a quick hop over to Rob's post and grab the GG logo for your blog. Take a few pictures, make a few plans, let us know about it. Sound good?