Tuesday, January 12, 2010

One Small Change - update

This challenge has been easy and extremely satisfying. Whether due to being run in winter when I am most likely to be indoors, or the timing co-insided with my desire to learn something new, it is going very well.

My choice for January was to reduce (not completely eliminate) beef from my diet for two reasons. The first is to help reduce the destruction of natural resources necessary to produce a pound of beef. The second is for my health and eliminating excess fat from my diet. I have not had beef (or pork) since Dec 24th, and I’m not missing it so far.

What am I eating? I’ve had chicken once, and I schedule a fish meal three times per week. The exciting part is that I’ve been experimenting with grains and legumes. My youngest son had introduced me to quinoa over a year ago, suggesting it as a source of iron. I add steamed broccoli and top with peanut sauce for a quick, tasty meal. I started buying brown and wild rice from the bulk bins at the natural foods stores to use as the base of a stir fry with slivered carrots, onions, bok choy, and celery. Last year I had learned to make a decent veggie burger from lentils so I decided to experiment with dried garbanzos, soaking and mashing, then mixing with cumin, coriander, turmeric and peas. I cooked them similar to a potato cake, with a side of steamed carrots. The possibilities are endless. The secret is to use spices and make it tasty.

I’m sure I can easily make it through January. I can have beef if I really want it, but right now I’ll pass.

I’ve also started refusing plastic bags if I run into a store for something small, like the sewing machine belt I bought at JoAnn’s. And I’ve been eyeing the orange rind in my garbage pail, thinking about redworms……

6 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

Kudos!! So far SO good :)

Scattering Lupines said...

I am impressed... you always give me great green ideas just by updating us on your progress!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

well this was timely..i have just been on the internet checking out that new cookbook called A Conscious Chef...Ellen Degeneras's chef....

Ellen is vegan..i probably couldn't skip cheese..but i could meat...i am going to try it..again...

i am going to go to Barnes and Noble and take a look at the book this weekend..I'll keep you posted.....

more later

love,
Kary
xxx

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello friends,
Thanks for stopping by (and keeping me on track!)

Cheese is also one of my favorites, but it's not calling out to me. I've just been enjoying so many other dishes!

Maria said...

I did the same thing this past year. I used the book The Gradual Vegetarian by Lisa Tracy (I think). It was written in the early 80's and some information is a little dated, but it is a great read and has some terrific recipes. See if your local library has it. I finally bought it on half.com.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Maria,
Thanks so much for the book reference. My city's library doesn't have it but I see that the next town over does! That's a great thing about living in CT: you can use any library in the state. I have borrowed books from 5 different town libraries close to me.