Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Happiness 101 award

A truly nice person presented 10 bloggers with the Happy Blog award, moi included! Thank you to Scattering Lupines, who stopped by one day last year and became a good friend. I did not set out to write a pointedly *happy* blog, but a realistic one based on my daily life and observations. If I have created any happiness in this blogosphere then I am very pleased! I think that *happiness* comes from making a new acquaintance, someone whom we may never have spent time with due to our differences, and finding out that we are not so different after all.

Now, getting down to business, my first duty is to list 10 things that make me happy. Here’s the short list:

1 – my family
For the love, support, and caring of my family, no matter if they are nearby or far away. Whether we converse daily or haven’t spoken in months. For those we’ve known for.ev.er, and for extended family we meet in tracing our roots. For all our history that keeps us close. For the young, new members of our family and the older generations who keep us under their wings. This is the inner warmth in my heart.

2 – your family
Let me explain! When I’m getting in my car, it makes me happy to see you lifting your child so he can put the quarter in the parking meter. When I pass you in the mall, it’s so good to see you explain how something works to your child instead of dismissing her questions. I love to see all the parents standing on the sidelines while their children are running around a soccer field. I can’t wait for spring to see parents helping their children fly kites in the April winds.

3 – friends
For those who accept us as we are, and understand that we don’t all have to like the same things. And those who offer a hand, or accept help from us, understanding that friendship is never one-sided.

4 – nature
Enjoying the warmth of the sun on a spring day, seeing the new green shoots emerging from the dirt by the edge of a running brook, watching birds catching food to bring to their newly hatched babies, listening to the silence of the softly falling snow, smelling the basil and tomatoes when I brush past them in the garden, and so much more

5 – reading and learning
Whether I’m linking through blogs on the internet and stumble on thrifting in Australia, or reading true accounts of the dust storms in the 30’s, I appreciate learning about the world outside my door. From my mother and the librarians in my elementary school, the love of books was ingrained in me.

6 – treats
Italian Ice on a hot day. Take out General Tsao’s Chicken, fried rice, eggrolls, and fortune cookies enjoyed with a crowd of family or friends. Buying a special pastry from a really good bakery.

7 – satisfaction of a job well done
Maybe it’s completing a task at work that seemed almost impossible, or putting the last nails into a lean-to for the horses. Knowing that you did everything you could to make something of quality.

8 – Good music, a good play or old movie, great art or design. I like listening to all types of music, and sometimes just put on jazz24 online or a Mildred Bailey cd. I was fascinated by some very old (silent) movies last week, and enjoy some of the older (1940 – 50’s) movies more than some of those out now.

9 – Paying my bills. It’s not getting the pay deposited in my account that makes me happy. It’s being able to pay my own way. I look at the paid utility bills, mortgage, and taxes as an accomplishment.

10 – All of you. I’m happy to have *met* each of you and know that the best is yet to come!

My next task is to award more bloggers with this Happy 101 award. I don’t know how to narrow it down to just ten! I have so many, many blogs bookmarked as favorites on my laptop. Each and every one is different and special. If you are reading this and write a blog then I think you should partake in this, because I probably catch up on your activities, too. And that makes me happy.

4 comments:

farmlady said...

What a "happy" MEME. and you have done it so well. I love the things you wrote. Mine would be very similar.
Thanks for the "happy" reminders about what is really important.

Scattering Lupines said...

#2 and #9 were such wonderful surprises! I'm going to start thinking that way, too! Just LOVELY. Thank you for accepting the award and the task! I enjoyed reading about "a few of your favorite things" (I hear the tune in my typing :)

MyStory of HiStory said...

There's nothin' quite like # 7 is there :) ...feel like I know qute a bit better after this one...almost 10 times better...I already knew you love nature :)

Maria said...

#1, #3 and #9 - MY "happy" places!