Thursday, January 21, 2010

88

Wasted space is what I call it. It couldn’t quite be considered a black hole, since things are retrievable once they’ve entered this area. But my current kitchen cabinets are considerably inefficient for me. Not the lack of them. Quite the opposite. I think there are too many cubby holes for the way I cook. This kitchen, with 5 drawers, 10 overhead doors and 5 base cabinets, not to mention the area under the sink, would be ample for someone who cooks for a family of four every night of the week. I, on the other hand, can cook every second, third, or fourth night and skip a few more nights by opening a can of tuna. So why is all this unused stuff in this drawer?








There are 88 items in this photo, most of which I have not used in the past two years. At this time I would not part with any of the items. Okay, maybe the second plastic salad tongs or the third tea strainer, but that’s all. I couldn’t possibly toss the vintage Chock Full O’ Nuts coffee scoops. They’re collectors’ items, aren’t they? Or the 8 different gadgets I have for opening jars and cans. They’re non-electric, you see, and I try to be energy efficient. But I sorted through everything using the “what would I take if I could only carry what I really needed” criteria. This is what it boiled down to.







A vegetable peeler is an absolute necessity. So is a good knife sharpener. A mini grater and a pizza cutter are multi-tasking, so they stay. And the beaters that go with my hand mixer can not be lost. Are you wondering about the empty tuna can? I have two of them that I’ve saved for many years. Someone once told me that they were perfect for making “mcmuffin” style eggs, and they are. Just a quick blast of non-stick spray and set in a pan with an inch of water, and your egg will look beautiful on that English muffin. They also can make a cute little two layer cake for you (and a friend?) to enjoy at home after you’ve taken a large cake to a party. Just pour a little of the batter into two tins and bake along with the regular cake, but for a shorter baking time.







Finally, the "after" photo. Two drawers combined into one that fits my cooking habits (minus the flatware that's drying in the dish drainer now). The rest is packed away.







Now it's time to think about the "junk" drawer......







3 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

Tooooo funny. I have a drawer like that too! I like both ideas for the tuna cans! Thanks for sharing...whoooda thunk it ? :) Have fun w/ the junk drawer!

Scattering Lupines said...

A tuna can for making McMuffin-style eggs... what a great idea!

Maria said...

Wow, I need to get organized!!!!!!