Saturday, January 30, 2010

7 things

Many thanks to Maria from "My full time life", for nominating me for the Kreativ Blogger award. She has a very busy and happy life and is always upbeat, even after nature re-arranges things!

I need to disclose seven things about myself that you may not have known. Wow, I've been so honest here that I feel you know all about me already....

1 - In my 40's I took some college courses. Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Economics, Access - Excel - Word. Got A's. Stopped going. I felt that it would take too long to get a degree at one course per semester. I was already working two jobs and couldn't do it any faster.

2 - Do I regret it? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I don't like to sit still and can't picture myself in a suit behind a desk, or staying up working on a computer at 11:30 at night. I didn't want the headaches or the agita. No use looking back now. I'm pretty much satisfied.

3 - I most often spend Friday nights and Saturdays with my 90 year old mother, who recently suffered a bad fall from standing on a kitchen stepstool, trying to reach the cabinet over the fridge. She is where I get my streak of independence. Only in recent years have I come to appreciate how strong she was all her life. She never wanted much but if there was something she did want, she would make it happen. (Thus, our trip to Ireland when I was in high school.)

4 - In high school I wore my hair long with those two thin braids from the center part, hippie style. I also had one of those India-inspired dresses with the tiny mirrors embroidered on the front.

5 - After keeping my hair short for the past few decades, I am letting the layers grow out. When it gets long enough to put in those two thin braids again, I'll post a picture….maybe... I might have to look through Goodwill for a mirror dress :)

6 - I haven't gone to a movie theater since I took my grandchildren to see the Incredibles. Folks at work can’t understand why I don’t know the actors they mention. But then, they don't know who William Powell was, or Charles Laughton, or.....

7 – I’m trying to get my life in order, sort things out, and live a peaceful existence.






Now I am to nominate others for this award. Please don't consider me as wimping out but I feel that every blogger I have met is creative. I am inspired by all the blogs I read as I trip the 'net fantastic. If you so choose, please post seven things about yourself that you have not posted before. I'd enjoy reading your list, too!



5 comments:

liveoncejuicy said...

I was recently accepted into a low-residency BFA in Creative Writing program. It starts in April. My poor head is filled with worry and concern and should I do this, is it reasonable? But I want it. So badly. I know just what you mean about regret, and not regret. I'm 2 semesters away from the degree I thought I wanted. What am I doing? I spend a lot of time asking myself that!

farmlady said...

I complained all my life that I never got to go back to College and finish my BA degree. I'm 65 yr's old this year and a couple of years ago I was whining to my bestfriend about this(probably for the 1000th time). She looked at me and said " How many years have you been saying this? If you had wanted to go back to school you would have made it the priority and you would have done it. But you didn't.., so either do it today or shut up about it."(She's my tough love friend.)
She was right. I really didn't want it badly enough to do it. I felt better after I realized that, even though I could have done it somewhere through the years, I had decided to blame others for my not going back. This was a real epiphany for me.
Thanks for the 7 things about you. It's good to know you better.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello liveonce,
Oh, what a decision to make! Only you can know what is best for you, what you really want to do. I wish you the best; a clear mind when the time comes to make a decision, and no stress after it is made.

Hi farmlady,
Yes, we seem to place the blame on others rather than handling it ourselves. I had all the excuses, boss kept doling out overtime, needed the money from the extra job... but really, like you - I didn't want it bad enough. You have a wise friend!

Maria said...

I agree, you have to want it bad enough and even then, it is not an easy decision. I went back for my MBA when I knew I had no other choices and yes it was the best thing I could have done. Going through the process though (the homework, the time away from your kids, the HOMEWORK), is not easy and I think the only thing that got me through it was knowing it was a NECESSITY, not a want. But it isn't for everyone and it is not forever.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Maria,
Kudos for knowing that it was the right thing to do. And for showing your children (by example) that sometimes you gotta push harder!