Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Planning

This time of year while everyone is planning their festivities and checking off gift lists, I usually try to project into the next year, imagining goals and budgets. My history is one where I start off well and lose steam by the end of February, try to patch things together again in April and finally accept compromise by mid-May. And so, living up to tradition, I will sit this weekend with paper, pencil, and excel spreadsheet.

My longing for a more meaningful life lived more closely to the Earth, pulls at me with every passing year. Whether it is the desire to ease towards retirement, or that of trying to find the life I once knew where I could take care of myself in terms of food and shelter on less income than I have now, I know there is a better life for me. In my daydreams I have a huge garden, a root cellar, and a pantry lined jars of canned sauces, jams, and greenbeans. And yes, in my dream life I have soft grey hair. The natural highlights have already started there now.

My inability to project what I will need and how to get there is where my planning falls short. I felt much better about it before the recession, when retirement funds were growing.

I may need to sharpen a few more pencils….

3 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

What a much better "place" we'd be in if more people were as careful to budget as you! Kudos for planning ahead - but remember life is a journey & not simply a destination so don't forget to LIVE in the process of life as well. Yet another area of careful balance that I find so tricky to maintain.

I hope your daydreams come true. They sound so SIMPLY lovely :)

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Whiskey Sour is a sweetheart..so is my little Dande...

i also have 3 strays that i feed..so i guess they are mine now..Pixiegirl...someone moved and left her behind..i have had her for over a year now..then Mumbie..someone else moved and left him behind too...then zacky waffle...he does have a home..his mom works at the zacky waffle house...she must leave really early..cause he is here every morning and night for food...i can't resist a hungry, meowing kitty..and as of yesterday....i have to put one more plate at the table..a kitten showed up..he has been here all day..i named him Cheddar..he is the color of Cheddar cheese....my poor husband..what a saint....

but I love ANIMALS........

more later and thanks for stoping by.....

best,
kary and her kittys
xxx

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi MyStory,
I try, but I feel sorely lacking in this department! I can't go by the formulas that the financial experts recommend - I just don't earn enough to go into all those pigeonhole catagories.... :)
Maybe you found the solution - SIMPLY!!! I think I'll work on that........Thanks for the idea!