Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A new year

It appears that the northeast will get another bout of snow and rain, with temperatures hovering around that freezing point in many areas, making travel a bad idea. Because of this possibility, I have changed my plans for the weekend. Instead of driving north I will stay put, finishing some things and starting others.

For the last two weeks I have been sorting through....well, everything. I have weeded through my clothes closet and the boxes downstairs in my storage room. I've made two trips to the Goodwill and tossed a few bags in the trash dumpster. My "stuff" is being whittled down to what is either: basic things necessary to everyday life or; things of personal or sentimental importance. I still have a few more things to sort through but I will be able to get those out of the way this weekend.

This process has been more than a just a chore. I've come to think of it as my "creed" for living. First; to participate in and value that which is necessary to everyday life, whether it be exercise and wholesome foods to keep healthy or to nourish physical and spiritual relationships, while disregarding things that do not enhance everyday life, such as products that waste the earths resources or mindless programs on television. Second; to respect and keep only things of personal importance. The little christening outfits that I've been keeping for decades now are of personal, sentimental importance to me, as are other things that were passed down through my family and items saved from the early years of my sons. Those will stay with me.

I believe that in these past two weeks I've learned what my New Year's resolutions will be. I will not pledge to lose weight, take up ice hockey, or keep my checkbook balanced.

My resolutions for living:

To participate in and value that which is necessary to everyday life, while disregarding things that do not add to that life.

To cherish things of personal, sentimental importance.


I think that just about sums it up for me.

4 comments:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Perfect...I too am loving and living a simple life....

Wishing you a peaceful NEW YEAR, dear friend...

and looking forward to a wonderful 2010 with you...

Love,
Kary
xxx

Spring Lake Farm said...

That was very well said. Here's hoping 2010 brings you the desires of your heart and even more!

Sandy

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Kary,
I'll bet you're cooking up something great for tonight! Have fun, and *see* you in the new year!

Hi Sandy,
Thank you and best wishes to you and yours, also!

MyStory of HiStory said...

I like it! Sounds "simple" enough :) ... attainable AND sustainable!