Tuesday, December 1, 2009

And miles to go before I sleep

It was a whirlwind of a holiday spanning 700+ miles, 2 turkey dinners, fooseball, several pots of coffee, and a woodstove. After having Thanksgiving dinner with family here, I drove north on Friday, leaving before dawn. I skipped through light rainshowers and arrived in northern VT long before noon. While in town I stopped in some of my favorite consignment clothing shops and found three separates to combine into the perfect outfit for the company Christmas party. And at a total of only $12, there will be no credit payments hanging over my holiday!


At a local cheese store I bought a chunk of Grafton cheddar, which is probably my favorite - very sharp, with character. I also picked up a summer sausage from Vermont Smoke and Cure; a small company which uses meat that is local to them. It turned out to be quite good so it's on my list for my next trip.



During this time of year every weekend is filled with church holiday and craft fairs, so I stopped at one and enjoyed browsing and chatting with the crafters. I picked up a container of delicious homemade spritz cookies, and wished I had purchased a second batch. With only one quick stop at a "regular" store, I was able to avoid the holiday shopping crowds. Once again I realized how good "country" life can be.

We worked outside for a while, and put up decorations for the holidays - something I can't do at my condo. The greens in this wreath were cut from trees on the property, and my grandchildren helped assemble it. Soon enough they will be able to assemble on their own and I'll sit back to watch!







Along with getting away from the city crowds I spent time with family, which was the best part of the trip. I don't expect to be travelling up that way for a while, so I took a lot of photos. I can be there one way or another....

3 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

What a pretty pic of the barn/wreath! A pic worthy of a Christmas Card :) What a fun trip. SO glad you're back safe & sound after spending some quality time making memories w/ family :)

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi MyStory,
Thanks for the well wishes on my trip. I always "watch out for the other driver" on road trips.
It was a great time! Always is!

Scattering Lupines said...

That looks like a lovely little place! I love the barn. And way to go on your comsignments! I, too, found the perfect outfit to wear to my Husband's company Christmas party over Thanksgiving. Mine was free. I found it in a friend's closet and she was generous and sweet enough to let me wear it. I wonder sometimes if I subconsciuosly chose a lot of friends who are my size on purpose :)